Squash ID

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW purchased a packet of seeds that was marked mixed winter squash. We got a few different varieties and We are not squash experts. Some help with identifying them and if they are ripe.
image.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW purchased a packet of seeds that was marked mixed winter squash. We got a few different varieties and We are not squash experts. Some help with identifying them and if they are ripe.View attachment 37256

the one in the middle is a Sweet Dumpling Squash, the one on the left looks like an Acorn Squash crossed with something else. the one on the right looks like a SDS crossed with something else.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only been tempted to grow the Sweet Dumpling and that looks like it. My one good crop of (relative) Delicata was so good that, I think, I tried 3 more seasons for a repeat.

Anyway, they look like they are probably all C. pepo squashes.

Collector, please let us know about how the plants did and the flavor of the squash.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW purchased a packet of seeds that was marked mixed winter squash. We got a few different varieties and We are not squash experts. Some help with identifying them and if they are ripe.View attachment 37256
It almost looks like "mixed" could refer to crossed/impure seed. Was this from a seed company? I agree that the squash in the center looks like Sweet Dumpling, and the one on the right could be as well. The one on the left resembles an acorn, but the color is wrong.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just happen to be cooking up some Sweet Dumpling Squash today (along with some of the others including the new cross that showed up this season).

Sweet Dumpling sure lives up to the name. it's not my favorite squash by far, but when i mix it in with a bunch of the drier more orange squash that we grow i probably won't notice it much at all.

i'm roasting up half the harvest today and will do the other half sometime later this week. a few of the squash were starting to get fungi on them and the garage is getting too cold so i had to bring them in. with tonight forecast to go down into the teens plus plenty of wind there's no way the garage would be kept from freezing. brought all the squash in today and started in on roasting them. at least in between batches (what i'm doing now :) ) i can take a break off my legs and back. neither of them like it when i'm standing at a counter for a long period of time.

i'll be having fun tonight getting seeds squeezed from the pulp so they can begin drying. plenty of them to share around.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year I grew lots of squash with NO bug problems. I simply adored the hubbard squash, ugliest on the block, but also the sweetest.

Sweet Dumpling Squash was by far the sweetest squash i've ever eaten. several steps up from the few Baby Blue Hubbards.i've had so far (only grown those two seasons). the BBH's i grew this season i planned on using in combination with the other squash because they tend to be more on the moist side and some of the squash i grow are more on the dry side, so mixing them together makes a really good compromise and a really big squash also is much easier to clean out and roast and use than a bunch of smaller ones. i use them all, but i do take bites out of each type to make sure i like them enough to even include them at all (in future grow outs), but also because i'm curious how they taste. :)

Latest posts