squash plants turning yellow

KelpticFest

Sprout
Reaction score
They've been in the ground for 1-2 weeks (took a while to get it done). They were planted in a garden area that had a lot (2-6") of mulch and manure added last fall (layered on top, not tilled in). Chickens were penned on it early in the spring. Plants were started in cellar with heat and light. Brought them out, dug down to dirt, planted the dang things, and watered them in with compost "tea". Now, after a major rainstorm, the leaves all turning yellow, but plants aren't wilted. Varieties are yellow summer, zucchini, and buttercup.

What's wrong??

:idunno

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with some of my squash plants, too. I have about 30 plants of 3 different kinds of squash that I grew from seed. About 6 of them are turning very yellow even though they have received good care. Hmmmm.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just to be aware, I have some very hardy squash plants other then 1 that began to yellow and stopped producing blossoms. On close inspection I found some squish brown spots at the base of a couple of leaves. Turns out the vine borers have begun their terror in my garden. I've squished a few of the adults already this season, I may have missed the one on this squash plant!

So check the bases of your plants around the stem and looks for any entry points where the vine borers may have gotten in.

If not, you may be lacking a nurtrient in the soil or have low nitrogen making the plants suffer.

KelpticFest

Sprout
Reaction score
The plants are way too small to attract borers yet (I think). And they're up to their collective ears in manure, so I don't think there's a nitrogen shortage. But other nutrients - I was wondering about iron?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it could also be that there is too MUCH manure for them... ? Too much can be just has harmful as too little.

I myself am dealing w/ too little nitrogen, so am having to work to bring it up.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I also lost a zucchini plant last week, it was growing great, about 3 feet tall with large dark green leaves and suddenly they started to yellow but the plant next to it wasn't bothered. I checked the underside of the leaves and noticed small gatherings of brown bugs the size of pepper flakes on the yellowing plant and nothing on the healthy one. I sprayed the healthy plant with a tobacco and water tea and so far so good..Still lost a plant tho...

KelpticFest

Sprout
Reaction score
trunkman said:
I sprayed the healthy plant with a tobacco and water tea and so far so good..Still lost a plant tho...
How do you make this tea? As gross as it is, tobacco is still a "natural" substance ..:tongue

Thanks.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
KelpticFest said:
trunkman said:
I sprayed the healthy plant with a tobacco and water tea and so far so good..Still lost a plant tho...
How do you make this tea? As gross as it is, tobacco is still a "natural" substance ..:tongue

Thanks.
I put a handful of tobacco and wrap it in thin cotton and tie it with a string leaving about two feet of string for it to hang from, then I put it in a pump sprayer and add water, let it set for a day or two, the water will be brown by then. Take the pouch of tea out, close the sprayer, pump and spray. I buy pipe tobacco, it's alot cheaper than cigarette tobacco, I used it on my plums this year and will be the first time I get good plums from that tree in ten years, I usually lose them to bugs. Hope that helps...

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like to make a tobacco "tea" by putting a whole chewing tobacco package in a 5 gal. bucket with 4 gal. of water and 1 oz. of Dawn. I swish it around and allow it to brew for several days. I strain it into my pump sprayer and use it just like anyone would use Sevin. It is important to spray under the leaves as well as on top.

Latest posts