squash problem

rook330

Sprout
Reaction score
squash plant look great nice green leaves big flowers some fruit are great other look like blossom end rot so spay with calcium twice in last 14 days still getting what look like blossom end rot and some fruit almost ready to pick are real solf anyone have any idea what wrong thxs for any help

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it helps if you let us know about where you are at and what kind of conditions you've been experiencing. :)

we've grown squash here in varying soils and conditions and my commonest problem with fruits not coming out right are (in this order of most likely problems):

not enough pollinator species around,
not regular enough watering,
not enough organic matter in the soil.
too many borers.

in our area the weather hasn't been sending regular rains this year so if i were to already had fruits of any kind forming on vines i'd be trying to make sure they are getting watered regularly. that is most often a problem with BER in plant species that have that problem.

if you have squash borer problems that can contribute to BER too because of the damage that can be done to the stems - so i would be checking that too.

there are others here who have a lot more experience with squash so i hope they'll chime in too. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the leaves are completely healthy (no wilting) that almost certainly rules out water & squash vine borer as possibilities. "BER" in squash is most often caused by lack of pollination. That could be no bees in the area (unlikely) or wet or cool conditions keeping bees temporarily in their nests. As @flowerbug mentioned, it would be helpful to know your geographical location.

And @rook330 , welcome to TEG! :frow Please consider introducing yourself in our "new members" sub-forum, to give everyone a chance to say hello.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi. welcome to the forum.

squash plant look great nice green leaves big flowers some fruit are great other look like blossom end rot so spay with calcium twice in last 14 days still getting what look like blossom end rot
Some photos might help us understand what is going on. At least we may be able to eliminate some things.

and some fruit almost ready to pick are real solf
Again photos could help.

If I had to guess with no real information I'd guess poor pollination for the first problem and BER for the second. But I could be all kinds of wrong on either of these.

rook330

Sprout
Reaction score
i start hand polination see how that go they get water very reg. live in north florida want to thank everone again for help

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Calcium is a metal. To say that you sprayed with calcium is interesting. Because it is a metal, the majority of the time only the enzymes of bacteria over months can break it down. I know calcium nitrate is an immediately available form of calcium. What did you use?

Last edited:

rook330

Sprout
Reaction score
i use 1000mg tum to a gallon of water and a little dish soap to make it stick tums are calcium carbonate

Latest posts