Squash zucchini and peppers dying !! HELP

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Depends upon where Mom laid the eggs. She decides what would be the best host plants. Soapy water usually helps also with some water soluble fertilizer so plant can recover. Usually my zucchini gets infected and dies-no saving them. I’d starve raising zucchini for a living.
Squash bugs killed my zucchini. :hit

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If it is grubs it’s only effecting my squash zucchini and peppers all the other plants are fine and the grass around the garden is really healthy .

Redd Tornado

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If this was sudden and the weather has been normal, then it could be bacterial wilt.

I suggest digging up one of the plants and looking for grubs. You can put something down for grubs. If it's wilt, there isn't much you can do. I would remove all the plants and plant marigolds. They put out a substance that is good for soil and bugs including grubs and cucumber beetle don't like.

This link will tell you more about squash wilt. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/signs-and-treatments-of-squash-wilt.htm

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You have them planted in hard clay, which pools water, dries quickly, and stresses your plants. The first thing a plant/tree will do is abort it's fruit if it is stressed.
PLEASE mulch them! If you have Nothing else, mow your grass and blanket them in grass clippings. Do the volcano mulching that they tell you Not to do to your trees. The worst that can happen is grass sprouting, which won't affect them. I, too am growing banana peppers. Mine are in great shape, just gotta pick them before they are "past it." I have them heavily mulched and applied Preen from the stems about 3 inches or more out to prevent any other seeds from sprouting.
We have had Southern weather heat for the past 2 weeks. My window AC's have been running constantly.
Regarding squash bugs, can't give you a good answer on that one.

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok I dug up a plant no grubs ! I’m really happy about that . A mix of water baking soda and a bit of dish soap took care of the powdery mildew . Tomorrow I’m going to add some compost around the stems that are now very exposed and mulch . I don’t know if it will help? ducks4you our soil is sandy not clay does the mulching still apply to my kind of soil ?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If this was sudden and the weather has been normal, then it could be bacterial wilt.

I suggest digging up one of the plants and looking for grubs. You can put something down for grubs. If it's wilt, there isn't much you can do. I would remove all the plants and plant marigolds. They put out a substance that is good for soil and bugs including grubs and cucumber beetle don't like.

This link will tell you more about squash wilt. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/signs-and-treatments-of-squash-wilt.htm
Bacterial Wilt most often comes from biting and sucking insects above ground. But you can never really tell who a grub has been sleeping with so use protection. Scents are both attractive and repellant to bugs. Thyme oil, garlic oil, onion oil etc are examples. Prevent the bite, prevent the vector.

Latest posts