squash

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My summer squashes grow 8' wide. I just read someone grew theirs in containers...anyone here?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'v grown patty pay squash in those black containers nursery trees come in. They don't do very well. They do much better in the ground. The ones I planted were more bush like than sprawling.

Yes, it's good to see you again petey.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow @peteyfoozer :weee here you are!~ So good to see you. How is the knee doing? Sounds like you are planning on some more garden time this year. Ours are in raised beds. (Beds are about 10 or 12 inches high and 4 foot wide. They did grow over the sides a bit, But the chicken wire fence to keep bunnies out helped to contain them. DH planted all vining things up a cattle panel. i.e. gourds, cucumbers, pumpkins. Sure helped to keep me from stepping on them and made harvest a snap.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm on the healing side of surgery at least, although it is a long, slow process, specially since I cannot take any of the drugs that keep the RA at bay so I am flaring like a big dog right now. I'm hoping and praying to be home soon. I love my son and his family, and they have been really wonderful to me, but I'm one of those ppl who just wanna be home if I don't feel good….or even if i do! ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugsSo sorry for the set back, I will pray for a quick recovery and feeling better. Soon you will be able to return home and get those hands in the dirt. :hugs

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife took a couple of those drugs for RA. Powerful stuff. Her system just could not handle either so she is cleaning out her system and getting her liver panels under control to maybe try something else. I can't remember which it was but she was miserable and could not eat much of anything on one of them.

I sure wish you luck handling the RA and hope for a speedy recovery from surgery. I'll nag you some and tell you to do your exercises. They help.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't paying attention earlier. Sorry,@peteyfoozer. Did you have a knee replaced? Hope you feel better soon.
I think one of the biggest problems with the biologic RA meds is that it really lowers your immunity, to the point that you could catch any little thing that comes along. My mom suffered from ear infections, UTIs, bronchitis on a regular basis. Then of course, the constant rounds of antibiotics played havoc with her intestinal flora, so she was just a mess for the last few years of her life.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hopefully things get better we're all pulling for you @peteyfoozer

I can't imagine even trying squash in a container. Would take a lot of supplementing and a strong trellis to even attempt it I'd think.

What kind(s) were you thinking of doing this with?

Latest posts