Squirrels eating tulips?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I go to see the tulips today when i notice the leaves from the tulips are chewed off and the remains left next to the tulips :( . I got really upset when i saw this is there a way to keep squirrels off the tulips without having to put a fence around the tulips?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
smile_163.gif

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sprinkling black pepper or cayenne pepper liberally on the ground around 'em sometimes helps (although, be aware it has the potential for severe harm if a squirrel should get any in their eyes). You have to renew it after a significant rain.

Otherwise, I'd say maybe not plant tulips next year... hard to do much about squirrels.

Good luck,

Pat

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Sprinkling black pepper or cayenne pepper liberally on the ground around 'em sometimes helps (although, be aware it has the potential for severe harm if a squirrel should get any in their eyes). You have to renew it after a significant rain.

Otherwise, I'd say maybe not plant tulips next year... hard to do much about squirrels.

Good luck,

Pat
The pepper method is a good method to use but i would have to reapple as you mentioned. Not having tulips in my garden in the spring would be devasting! :lol: i nearly have close to 70 tulips in my garden. I'll just have to add a fence like structure if i want tulips this spring, thats all. Thanks pat i appreciate the reply ;)

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have heard that people put dog hair around plants to discourage rodents. I've never tried it although God knows I have enough dog hair! lol
Also you can buy sprays of coyote urine at hunting stores that I would think might work. :ep
The only repellant I have ever tried is dried blood for bunnies and I am not really sure if it works. It also give your plants a BLAST of nitrogen whether they need it or not. lol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so sorry... I had a couple chewed tulip leaves from squirrels. They only messed with like 2 and that was one time. Other then that... nothing. Maybe it wasn't so yummy?!

The tulips they chewed on the leaves from though were tiny and sparatic... they didn't do so well when they came up.

So good luck, I'm sure you have more squirrels then I do, I rarely see any around here. They keep to the woods if they can.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I am so sorry... I had a couple chewed tulip leaves from squirrels. They only messed with like 2 and that was one time. Other then that... nothing. Maybe it wasn't so yummy?!

The tulips they chewed on the leaves from though were tiny and sparatic... they didn't do so well when they came up.

So good luck, I'm sure you have more squirrels then I do, I rarely see any around here. They keep to the woods if they can.
Thanks vfem:) , yep i wish their wasnt a lot of squirrels where i'am. I'm just going to put maybe some kind of fence structure, hopefully my tulips will be ok.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
I go to see the tulips today when i notice the leaves from the tulips are chewed off and the remains left next to the tulips :( . I got really upset when i saw this is there a way to keep squirrels off the tulips without having to put a fence around the tulips?
AAARRRGGHHH! You jinxed me! lol
I went over to do some pruning in the cemetery today and at the entrance all my little crocus and mini tulips are coming up so pretty...then when I wnt over to trim the ornamental grass back...YIKE! Bulbs were laying on top of the ground and greens were snipped off at ground level!
I guess I'll take some dog hair over and scatter around and test that theory. :rolleyes:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
AAARRRGGHHH! You jinxed me! lol
I went over to do some pruning in the cemetery today and at the entrance all my little crocus and mini tulips are coming up so pretty...then when I wnt over to trim the ornamental grass back...YIKE! Bulbs were laying on top of the ground and greens were snipped off at ground level!
I guess I'll take some dog hair over and scatter around and test that theory. :rolleyes:
Sorry about that setter, are you sure it was a squirrel or other animal that caused the damage? They can really put a damper on you when you get so excited to finally see the flowers coming up. I just took some bamboo sticks to the ground around the bulbs close together to resemble a bamboo fence, i just couldn't take see the tulips all ruined anymore!! :(

Good Luck setter!

Latest posts