Start of 2015 Seedling Planting!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would it be safe to leave it running all night?

I've been wanting to invest in some heat mats too, but they are kinda expensive. Thought about heating cable, but I don't think a sand table would work out well inside. I'm sure I'd get faster growth with some bottom heat though. I germinate them upstairs when the humidity domes are on, no problem. Our house stays around 80 degrees in the winter with the woodstove. Usually have to open a few windows when I get too hot!

The little heaters I have operate on a thermostat, so you just dial the setting back a notch when it gets warm enough for you, then it will keep that heat setting.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found this little greenhouse for just $20, couldn't walk away from it. I think it's better than making a real greenhouse, was too large and nature said 'nope'. Guess I started off too big and should of known better!
This will be easy to bring indoors and store it. I may end up getting another, the sale ends soon.
Anyone have one? How'd you like it?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundworkreg;-greenhouse-5-1-4-ft-h

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it would do well outdoors to keep pesky critters away from small herbs. Indoors, depending on what you're growing, you might need to supplement light.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found this little greenhouse for just $20, . . . . . This will be easy to bring indoors and store it. I may end up getting another, the sale ends soon. Anyone have one? How'd you like it?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundworkreg;-greenhouse-5-1-4-ft-h
I have three of them. Not quite the same, mine have zip-up clear plastic covers, but the size and shelving look pretty much the same. I have one set up for starting seeds, one with lights for seedlings and the other is in the sun room with tenders inside.

I did keep one outside one summer, but it needed tying down to protect it from my winds. I think they would work best inside or in a sheltered space.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lookie what came in the mail today!!
The pots were supposed to be 6 x 4.25 inches. They are 6 x 6 inches! Whoo! 100 pots!
And the seeds came in as well!

Bought the 2nd greenhouse that was on sale, was the last one left! =0 Can't wait to get started!
Already planted some of my old seeds, 1-2yrs old.
Had put some Millet from my birds' millet sprays into a pot, watered, into a plastic bag and next to the heater. They're sprouting today! I'll squeeze these next to a window somewhere!
Really wish our "sunroom/laundryroom" was properly made and insulated. It's just slightly warmer in there than the outside! :(
But my pond plants are also in there, so there's not much room anyway. :(

plantpots.jpg

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i use the bathroom size (4oz?) sized paper cups with no wax on them to start a lot of my seeds. poke a couple of holes in the bottom, fill them with starter soil, water from the bottom and when they are ready to set out i just pinch the bottom completely out and plant paper cup and all. has worked well for me

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My lights are in the hall closet. :hit I will be moving when I should be planting. I might cheat and buy plants this year and direct seed what I can. I have some potatoes from last year that are getting eyes, planting time here is mid February, so might dig a trench and drop them in it at the new place.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started those old seeds.
Tonight, starting some mini lettuce seeds for in-house growing. Will need to start the peppers in the next week, too.

Internet is very dead, just moments of working. ugh, comcast sucks!!!
Then our wellhouse power tripped the circuit grounding hole caught fire! No lights in the bedroom, none in the other bedroom, no power to wellhouse other than the pump and no power to the rabbit/dog shed! Going to be 7F tonight!! =0 Hope the rabbit babies don't freeze, strapped a coat to the dog that's in there, closed up the shed and hoping for the best for pipes to NOT freeze and burst!
Electrician will be here Friday.
We really should of tore this house down and built new like everyone else on this road is doing.... Anyone ever tore a house down to build a new one? How does that work, who do you hire, how does insurance work, etc????

Hoping for the best...again. Every winter since getting this place....

Newbies, do buy an oscilating fan and set it on low. The wee seedling need that movement, like So Lucky mentioned.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope you are seeing warming temperatures in your forecast and no problems this morning, @secuono . Power outages, even just around the house, are bad news in the cold weather.

I'd like to see a new house on this lot. (Don't tell this 114 year old house I live in that ...) I've some ideas how things could be more convenient and provide more living space outdoors. I don't want to go through another remodel job!

With the building codes, I'd have to turn everything over to a contractor, I'm sure. That takes much of the fun out of it ... I do have an architect friend who could offer some practical help with my ideas and control over Bob the Builder but, I'm sure, I'd best stay outta the way.

Steve

Latest posts