start to a new interest.....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Prairie Rose DH has bung stung so many times! He came home on evening with maybe 30 !!! Actually worried me. So far the worst reaction he has had was a sting in the eyebrow that swelled his eye for a few days. I pray he never becomes allergic (Glad you where o.k.) That night he had a mishap moving and aggressive hive farther from someone's swimming pool and tipped it! Talk about ANGRY bees. Stung through bee suit and jeans.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the only thing i can think of that would be better would be thicker but that makes it harder to grab things. and when you are done having someone else scan as you take the suit and covers off so you don't accidentally smush one.

i'm not sure if there is any treatment you can get these days that will help desensitise a person once they've gotten sensitized. if i were working with bees i sure would have the right things around to treat a sting and was allergic. also knowing how to properly remove a stinger (so you don't squeeze more venom in)...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@majorcatfish , if you remember my DD's had to have a hive removed from their house's interior wall last year. BOTH guys, certified to remove them, had lost one hive each the previous winter. Network in your area so that you can get more bees and ask the locals questions peculiar to your area. The honey will taste like what your bees are eating. Out in CA, almond growers will bring in bees to pollinate the trees and their honey afterwards is largely inedible bc of the almond nectar.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish , if you remember my DD's had to have a hive removed from their house's interior wall last year. BOTH guys, certified to remove them, had lost one hive each the previous winter. Network in your area so that you can get more bees and ask the locals questions peculiar to your area. The honey will taste like what your bees are eating. Out in CA, almond growers will bring in bees to pollinate the trees and their honey afterwards is largely inedible bc of the almond nectar.

i've never heard of any problems with that, the guy who runs hives here ships his around the country including CA. next time i see him i'll have to ask him about it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish , @flowerbug @baymule

A-ha I looked it up. Not that it can't be eaten. Maybe a preference for the taste some do not like.

Almond Honey is produced in California, which is the largest US producer of this nut. The honey is sweet with a strong nutty aftertaste. Despite its sweetness, many find the nuttiness does not contribute well to a table honey. However, brewers and bakers find no shortage of foods that this flavorful honey complements well.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish , @flowerbug @baymule

A-ha I looked it up. Not that it can't be eaten. Maybe a preference for the taste some do not like.

Almond Honey is produced in California, which is the largest US producer of this nut. The honey is sweet with a strong nutty aftertaste. Despite its sweetness, many find the nuttiness does not contribute well to a table honey. However, brewers and bakers find no shortage of foods that this flavorful honey complements well.

i wonder how it compares to buckwheat honey. that's strong and a different flavor compared to clover honey.

Latest posts