Started A Small Batch of Pickles

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm making this soon.

It would be this morning but there is an MD appt. I don't want DW and me to show up smelling of boiling vinegar ...

The cukes are winding down fast, even the July planted ones. If I hold out a few before frost, I should have a chance to try the test quart before they go bad.

Of course, a jar of pickles last me months. Even a half pickle with a meal keeps me happy.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got up waaay too early. Need to be outta here early but I had time for this.

Jar is loaded but I forgot the hot pepper. I think I'll just go out to the greenhouse bench and see what I can find.
IMG_20150921_150636264.jpg

:D Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was super easy and GOOD!

I waited a week and sampled. It seemed fine. A couple more days -- still fine.

By then, I'd collected the last of the cucumbers and used them to make 2 more quarts, yesterday. I had quite a lot of water/vinegar to throw out so I think what 'Dorie did was give these measurements:
I mixed 2 cups filtered water with 1 1/2 cups of white vinegar
for her 1 quart plus 1 pint.

This:
7 qts
pickling cucumbers
4 cups white vinegar
8 cups filtered water
works out to about 1 1/3 cups of filtered water and 1 cup white vinegar per quart.

They are a bit salty but I was afraid to tamper with the amount of salt. Besides, I'm not used to eating very much salt so it may the the proper amount. I have a question about salt:

The recipe calls for "canning" salt. Was it okay for me to use sea salt. There is an "anti-caking" ingredient but no iodine. I don't know what canning salt is.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pickles in the first quart have gotten quite sour. EDIT: soure ..?!

I'm beginning to wonder when I should finish those.

Also, the second and third quarts -- at the rate of one quart per month, do you suppose I made too many refrigerator pickles?

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts