Started in on the Free pears

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well this week stopped by the fully loaded pear tree and some of them turned loose so we went back with our buckets and filled 'em up. I canned 8 pints as a test run. Made them with a medium syrup. The verdict, hubby said too sweet and a bit too firm. So I'm currently running some thru the ripening process and will try another batch in a light syrup. Hopefully they will be what he likes. He's the biggest eater of pears in our house, so I'll go with what he likes.

That tree is still absolutely loaded. Even more than I could ever hope to use. Still watching the well loaded peach tree. Hopefully they will be ready soon, peaches are my absolute weakness.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The fully loaded pear and peach tree were hit by someone other than my family this weekend. When we were getting home from shopping someone was picking all the fruit. I slowed down in the drive and they jumped in their truck and took off. It was like locusts over there, not too many pears left, about a 5 gallon bucket full and just enough peaches to make 1 crockpot of peach butter. :hit I could so taste those peaches, oh the heartbreak.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah did you get their license plate number?

If those were your fruit trees, they should have no right to take the fruit from you.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Unfortunately they weren't my trees. They are sitting on a the property next door that was foreclosed on last year. If they were my trees, all 5'4" of me would've been all over them.

I was just bummed because I could just taste those peaches every time I drove by. We live on a private road so we figured must've been someone that knows/knew the former owners.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would if I thought I could get away with it. LOL! Actually this tree is huge, we managed to get what we did because the guys couldn't reach the top of the tree. Luckily for us we have a bucket on the tractor so hubby just lifted me up there.

They did have a black cherry tree over there that they planted just a month or so before they were out. We did dig that up and brought home, but the deer found the bark just yummy. So for my energy, I still have to go buy a black for my bing cross.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lucky you! I was watching the tree that had the pretty white flowers and then the little fruits, had finally identified them as pears, (we moved in February and are still discovering what is planted around the place) and then the squirrels ate Every Single One of the unripe pears!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I could get my hands on some free pears! I hear this was a good year for them. Last time anyone offered me any, we were on our way to a funeral and didn't have time to stop. Gotta pick while the pickin's still good, huh! Sorry somebody swiped yours! :p

Latest posts