Starting Basil From Cuttings...

I'm A Gardener :)

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have 2 indoor basil plants, and I decided to start a cutting from them, or at least try.... After reading up a bit, I put together these instructions:
Starting Basil From Cutting(s)

Supplies:
-Small Glass Jar
-Tin Foil
-2-3 Inch Basil Cutting
-Warm Water
-Scissors/Knife
Procedure
1. Fill the small glass jar with luke-warm water
2. Cover top of jar with 1-2 sheets of tin foil.
3. Cut a very small hole in the center of the tin foil
4. Take the bottom 2/3 of the cutting
5. Place the basil cutting in the glass jar through the hole

You SHOULD see roots coming from the bottom of the basil cutting within 3-4 weeks.

*NOTE* I just tried this, and it isn't proven to work, however I encourage you to try this method!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've had luck with getting basil to root. i bought some from the grocery store last fall and placed the ends in a jar of water and i noticed after a week that they were getting some small white roots showing. after a few weeks the roots were a few inches long! i also had them in my east facing kitchen window.

eta: i should mention that i was just trying to keep them from drying out so i did not cut sections off the stems. just plopped the whole bunch in the jar!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have good luck taking cuttings from Basil here is one of mine that is still in the gar and just getting roots. (I need to cut the blossoms off)
7054_dsc_1011.jpg

Chris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WOW!! I hope mine sprouts that fast!

I wish basil flowers weren't as pretty...... it's so hard to cut those beautiful little white flowers off of the plants!!!! :lol:

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm A Gardener :) said:
WOW!! I hope mine sprouts that fast!

I wish basil flowers weren't as pretty...... it's so hard to cut those beautiful little white flowers off of the plants!!!! :lol:
They do take a little wile to get rooted.
Here are some up-dated pictures of that Basil cutting that I posted.

Basil cutting getting transplanted -
dsc1026.jpg
[/url]

Close up of roots -
dsc1028m.jpg

All potted up -
dsc1029.jpg

Chris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nice!!!Mine still hasn't wilted, so that's good! I'll have to post some pics of mine. It looks really good, but still no roots. It's only been like a week though!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have tried basil from seed many years and i just can't do it. So I always buy a bigger one from Lowes and I make sure it has more than a few sprouts. Then I pull them oh so gentilly and plant them in the ground. When I am lazy I will put them in water but usually I just pop them in the ground and then will take. That goes for cuttings as well. I just break a piece and pop it in the ground and it usually grows as long as it is not uber hot.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I must not have patience. I find basil sprouting from seed much faster than basil from cuttings. Just put three seeds in a 3 ounce cup and wait a week. Little italian basil's just pop up usually 2/3 seeds.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Inside? Or outside? I've never direct sown basil and the only predator inside are the birds who will suck up their wings, skinny up their bodies, run to the plants pick out a seedling and run or fly away knowing it's a no-no.

Latest posts