starting everything from seed this year

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Grrrrr ....kansas weather has been freaky this year but it is finally going to be planting time. I have greens in planters on my deck and thank goodness for trash bags to cover em....they have survived so far. Looking forward to my first salad this week.

Here's the fun part..... I wasn't worried too much about the late start because I had seeds started.... yesterday my cats decided to sun themselves in a nice window.....and thought the boxes of dirt were for them. Killed about everything. So I guess I will have a really late harvcest now...

These cats are sooo lucky I am a nice person...lol

Pray for me

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cats are amazing. They can be like kids that just don't speak people talk.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your kids pee on everything in the yard and hide their poop in lovely soil intended for other use . . .

The 2 neighborhood tomcats finally had some kind of definitive brawl in the backyard the other night. This, after "marking" everything in sight for weeks. Yeah, the donnybrook even took down some bricks I had in a stack beside the carport! There was fur everywhere! Of course, I missed it.

Maybe there will be a time where I don't have to smell cat pee every time I pick something up out there. Fortunately, they missed coming up by the chair on the deck and peeing on my shoes this time around.

Steve :rolleyes:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
If your kids pee on everything in the yard and hide their poop in lovely soil intended for other use . . .

The 2 neighborhood tomcats finally had some kind of definitive brawl in the backyard the other night. This, after "marking" everything in sight for weeks. Yeah, the donnybrook even took down some bricks I had in a stack beside the carport! There was fur everywhere! Of course, I missed it.

Maybe there will be a time where I don't have to smell cat pee every time I pick something up out there. Fortunately, they missed coming up by the chair on the deck and peeing on my shoes this time around.

Steve :rolleyes:
I feel ya' Steve. The old lady next door feeds all the feral cats and they come from all over for the free buffet she puts out for them. I think about 6 of them just had kittens. :he They always seem to court and mate late at night under the bedroom window. They crap all in my yard and yes, the smell of cat pee wafting on the breeze is just one of the delights of having a cat hoarder next door. :sick I have started to hate cats. I cheer when I see one turned to a roadside pancake. YAY! Let's play cat frisbee!! :weee

To Naughty, sorry your kitties decided to use your plants for a playground. Really, I like cats, had an inside cat for years, but DSIL is allergic and I'd rather have him, our DD and grand daughter come visit than a cat. Maybe for your next try you could construct a chicken wire cage around your seedlings. On the outside beds that I freshly plant, I stick plastic forks, tines up, in the dirt around my seedlings. It seems to help as the little kitties don't want to get forked in their patooties. :gig

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to live behind a beagle. Yeah, I know but she was actually a pretty nice little dog. Her owner claimed to "luv her" but she spent just about her entire life chained beside her doghouse in the backyard.

My "littler veggie garden" during those days was in the vacant lot across the alley and just on the other side of the fence from that beagle. The nearest bed to her was Cat Potty Central!

I guess they knew she couldn't get at them (despite all the noise she'd make) so they were trying to drive her off . . . or, something :rolleyes:. I had read that peat moss on the surface of the ground would deter cats. They don't like getting it stuck to their feet. It . seemed . to . work !

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that peat moss idea Steve. I think I'll give it a try. I have no one to blame for my cat woes but me, the three miscreants are mine.

In the fall when the beds are empty I roll out that plastic fencing over the beds they gravitate to and that works fine, but when it comes to spring planting obviously that doesn't work.

This year I set up a hot wire around one of my areas to discourage Wren from using it for a nap/ squirrel lookout, and I believe the cats may have had a lesson or two also because I see no sign of cat activity there. Because it's battery operated it's very portable so I plan to move it around to all my areas, and leave the wire up in the original areas to keep them fooled.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
one of my cats think the chickens are scratching everything up nice & fluffy for her to do her business. she's so appreciative of their help

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Naughty! What a disappointment! I always try to start mine- but I console myself with the notion that the transplants for most things are available at the garden center! Darn cats!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lay down some hardware cloth on top of the dirt. Seems to work when we had barn cats and they'd dig into the pots. Stopped the squirrels too from placing acorns in the planter boxes. Nothing like a pile of broken annuals and in the middle is an acorn about 2" deep after spending all day planting.

Latest posts