Starting Flowers Now

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Would it be possible to start flowers now, so that they could be in bloom next spring? I would like to try Purple Coneflower, and a couple varieties of Daisy. Do you think if I started the plants inside now, and then got the small plants in the ground before fall they would be alright?

Thanks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Andy, I think that now is an excellent time for you to start perennials and biennials, Andy. I'd even suggest just sowing the seed in a well-prepared and protected seed bed, outdoors.

Here are a couple I'll suggest for spring blooms: sweet williams and Canterbury bells.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve- could you tell me something about sweet williams. I planted them from seed last summer. They grew, but no flowers. They survived chickens and winter and I transplanted them to different spots in the yard. They bloomed beautifully. I really enjoyed them. Now what? Do I deadhead? Do I need to plant more seeds for next year? I am really happy I discovered these flowers- they have been a real joy....Thanks for your help.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would do perennials now! I planted several of my perennials in August and September of last year. This year they are HUGE and HAPPY!

(Cone flowers won't bloom until mid/late summer by the way)

I also have bulbs to order to go in here soon...

I get to put in my saffron crocus this month, I should even get a fall bloom out of them if I'm lucky!!! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Steve- could you tell me something about sweet williams. I planted them from seed last summer. They grew, but no flowers. They survived chickens and winter and I transplanted them to different spots in the yard. They bloomed beautifully. I really enjoyed them. Now what? Do I deadhead? Do I need to plant more seeds for next year? I am really happy I discovered these flowers- they have been a real joy....Thanks for your help.
Lesa, I'd plant more seeds.

There is only one variety that I've grown that could bloom in its 1st year from spring sowing. But, having that one bloom in August didn't do much for me.

Sweet Williams seem to be a "weak" perennial but I believe that they are classed as biennials. After flowering in June here, some few can make it thru a 2nd winter but they get beat up so badly by the cold - they don't amount to anything in their 3rd year.

They are very good at self-sowing. The problem with that is that Sweet Williams seem to degenerate into all pink bicolors after a year or 2. Or at least, that is what I've observed in gardens where folks allow them to do that.

I like their fragrance and think the purples are especially nice but the butterflies like all the colors :)!

Steve

Latest posts