Starting indoor tips?

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Going to start seeds indoors, but I have minimal space. Any tips? Also, how do I get them enough light? Will I be having to move them close to the windows every day?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What zone are you in??
Wouldn't it be better to use cold frames? It cuts down on the problem of hardening off, etc.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DG, I think it may help for you to read thru Ariel's, "starting peppers from seed." And, Ariel should come back and tell us how well her incubator worked for peppers ;).

Also, click on Hattie's 2 links. One has information on indoor lighting, including cfl's. The other is really quite comprehensive, altho' I don't know what to think of the advice on Epsom salt spraying. Chlorophyll makes use of magnesium but . . .

Information on peppers, which are a little hard to get goin', should be fairly useful for other warm-season plants. They are also the very 1st of the veggies for you to start for the season, probably.

Turn the temps down for the cool-season starts . . . that's about all I can think of at the moment - for a difference between warm & cool season plants.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got me one of those rolling kitchen carts with the wire racks at different levels. Its like 18" on its longest side, but it has 4 shelves total that slide out. I got one for $25 last year, and the second one was given to me. I started 100's of seedlings with lamps clipped on each level using the smallest amount of space. Roll it in a corner and try not to trip over it! LOL :lol:

Latest posts