Starting Iris Bulbs

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I finally got some bearded iris bulds today at lowes and they have red onion, garlic, white onion, and yellow onion bulbs so I got $50.00 worth.

How should I start my iris bulbs? In pots inside my new greenhouse?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bearded iris are not really bulbs, but you just plant 'em like you would anything else (directly in the garden). In well-drained soil, the top of the rhizome (what you are thinking of as a bulb) should be just barely grazing the soil surface; in soil of more questionable drainage, including many clayey soils, it is often better to have half the rhizome exposed above the surface. Plant 'em too deep and they rot and die.

If they seem real shrivelled up and dry, it is worth soaking the roots (JUST the stringy thin roots, not the whole thing) in water for a coupla hours (no more) before planting, to improve their chances of survival. Iris are pretty tough though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Orloff,

Nice batch of goodies you got yourself! (looking at other post)

My advice on the Iris is fairly simple. The important thing is to get the iris to set root. So it does not matter if it is in a pot or in the ground.

If you already have a bed chosen, then you should get them started where they will grow. This will help in the long run otherwise you might find that you skip an entire bloom cycle.

In a pot, you have more control over the environment; such as dogs, cats, kids, or mishaps. If you decide on a pot, then just straight soil that you would have in your normal beds, and place them with the top portion of the rhizome exposed. You can bend a piece of wire coathanger to make an anchor if you need to; the wire is poked into the soil on either side of the rhizome and holding it down with a little pressure.

If you pot them, just place them on the South facing side of the house along the wall. There they will get plenty of sun and warmth to set root and establish. Then come Summer you can place them as a potted plant into the beds. (this method usually results in skipping of the bloom cycle for one year)

When you open the bags you will find some dried leaf material attached. Go ahead and leave that in place; they will need all the insulation they can get for now and once watered will hold moisture close to the new leaf sets.

Other than that ....easy as pie!

I do like your new coldframe; I wouldn't do the iris in there. If you baby an iris you might cause it to perish. Seriously they are tough and meant to be outdoors in the elements.

I Loved the colors you chose too! :thumbsup

Ron

orloff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Im kinda wishing that I would have got all one color. Now I am going to have to plant them in different areas.

The coldframe that I got works really good. I already have some Bok Choy and some lettuce for winter in it. I am going to move them onto the bigger greenhouse I am building over winter though.

I am also going to try to save some herb plants and put them into it and my ground cherries.

Reaction score
Hi!

I am a Master Gardener in California. Here are the instructions that I included with Bearded Iris' that we sold at a MG plant sale. I have a Royal Purple Iris that is outstanding. If you would like some, maybe we could do a plant/seed swap!!

Requirements:
Needs good drainage. Adapts to most soils. Feed in early spring and after bloom. Drought tolerant (after it takes root).

Plant between July 1 and October 31. Set rhizomes 1-2 ft apart, with top of rhizome just below the surface, spread roots well. Rhizomes grow from end with leaves; plant that end in direction that you want growth to take. Water to settle soil and start growth.
For quick show, plant 3 rhizomes 1ft apart, 2 growing with ends pointed outward and the third aimed to grow into the space between them.

After 3 to 5 years, clumps are likely to be overcrowded. Lift and divide July 1 to Oct 31. Divide rhizomes with sharp knife, discard older woody center; plant healthy section with good fan of leaves. Let cut ends heal for several days before planting.

Good Luck!
Cindy

Latest posts