Starting Peppers?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Has anyone started planting pepper seeds yet? I myself am waiting for seeds I ordered from The Pepper Gal.

:) Here are this years peppers:

King of the North - these are suppose to be good for areas with short growing season.

Giant Aconcagua - This pepper looks interesting, its a cubanelle type pepper growing to 12" long!

Sunrise Orange Bell - I really enjoy yellow/gold peppers they taste sweeter than the red bells. These also mature early enough to get them to change color in time for short season areas.

I really wanted to make sure the peppers I chose are all heirlooms and these are. I haven't tried any of these peppers yet but am excited to see how they'll do this season.

I'd be interested to see what peppers everyone else is trying?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some of my seeds on January 23. For peppers, I planted Jimmy Nardello and Purple Beauty (bell pepper) both from Baker Creek. We really love the Jimmy Nardello peppers. We let them turn red, they are so sweet and 100 times tastier than a bananna pepper. I am trying the Purple Beauty for the first time this year. Last year I bought a few bell pepper plants, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange. They have come through the winter in the redneck greenhouse, but have some black moldy stuff on them, so will probably have to pull them up. :hit I will plant the new pepper seedlings in another spot.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes I have started 6 Cayenne pepper plants, 6 Jalapeno peppers, 6 Habinero plants but not any sweet pepper plants yet. I just put the seeds in the soil on Monday (2/11/2013) and they are are about 1/4" tall today. I'm anxious to make use of my new greenhouse but I'll have to wait until it gets a little warmer outside first. I hope I don't get ahead of myself and over-run my indoor seed starting area before it warms up a little here in zone 6A. The hurrier I go the behinder I get.

6653_gedc1026-01.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate you all! I start seeds either too erly or too late and then kill them trying to harden them off. I am ENVIOUS!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so irritated! I started tomatoes in the house and planted a bunch of peppers too. They needed the heat mat to get started of course. I didn't want to buy a flat of peppers again this year... so I started from my seeds. Not a 1 had sprouted yet.

They're always late and I'm trying to be patient.... but if I have to start again I'm out of time to get them ready. :p

My tomatoes shocked me and are going strong in a south facing window since the chicks stole my grow light!!! :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I harden off my plants on a covered porch. I have, after growing broccoli, lettuce, and the like, forever in the greenhouse, let them out too late or even overnight. Needless to say I ended up with some ruined green icecubes.
seedcorn said:
I hate you all! I start seeds either too erly or too late and then kill them trying to harden them off. I am ENVIOUS!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers take a lot longer than tomatoes.
vfem said:
I am so irritated! I started tomatoes in the house and planted a bunch of peppers too. They needed the heat mat to get started of course. I didn't want to buy a flat of peppers again this year... so I started from my seeds. Not a 1 had sprouted yet.

They're always late and I'm trying to be patient.... but if I have to start again I'm out of time to get them ready. :p

My tomatoes shocked me and are going strong in a south facing window since the chicks stole my grow light!!! :lol:

Latest posts