Starting Seeds Indoors

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, boggy! I need to remember that part about labeling seedlings! I always think I have done a good job- and then I end up with a few mystery plants!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks boggy ;)

Its a good reminder and gives good tips about starting seeds, I know I just can't wait to get sowing soon!! :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the bio dome from parks and have not figured out how to label the seedlings? I plant them and then write down what I planted but i end up with more " this looks like a pepper" than "definately a hot pepper".

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For my veggie plants and marking all of my Dahlias...I use discarded aluminum (I guess they're aluminum) slatted window blinds.... I dismantle them...take the strips and cut them into 5-7 inch pieces and label them with a "Sharpie" pen....I then take a paper punch and punch a hole in one end and tie them to my plants......works for me:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty, I bet those Sharpies only work for you because the tags are in the shade of the plants.

A season in the sun and "permanent" marks fade . . . . away.

(It also could be that the metal works better than the plastic I've used.)

Anyway, I got a couple of these pens from Johnny's (click) and they have lasted for several years. The sunshine may make plastic stakes brittle to the point of useless but you can still read what is written . . . unless you put a #13 shoe on 'em or run over 'em with a rototiller. . . :rolleyes:

At the end of the season, rubbing alcohol may not clean all of the ink off but it works well enuf that they should be usable again.

Steve