Starting seeds?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am having a check of time starting flower seeds. I have tried to start marigolds and sunflowers on multiple occasions but to no avail. Is there some secret that I don't know. Are they started differently than veggies? I wanted to do pansies but I need to get over my hump first.

And for that matter, I also can't get my brussel sprouts to germinate.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I am having a check of time starting flower seeds. I have tried to start marigolds and sunflowers on multiple occasions but to no avail. Is there some secret that I don't know. Are they started differently than veggies? I wanted to do pansies but I need to get over my hump first.

And for that matter, I also can't get my brussel sprouts to germinate.
details details. What sort of fixtures, pots etc. What sort of seeding soil, temperature, etc?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Detail... details are for those without toddlers. Every time I get on here some screaming two year old finds me and so my posts are extremely brief and usually make no sense... but I digress while they are nappin.....

For the marigolds, I tried direct sowing them by placing them and covering them with a small amount of soil. I also starting them how I start most of my veggies which is to place some seed starting mix in 1/2 a toilet paper roll sow then water. I then place these outside so they can get some light and bam next thing you know I have sprouts...

A couple of weeks ago I direct sowed the marigolds, and the sunflowers and nothing. I then did the toilet paper with the marigolds, sunflowers, watermelons, broccoli, brussel sprouts, squashes. I only got the watermelons, broccoli, watermelons and squashes.

I am seriously starting to think I may need one of the fancy green houses from Parks.. maybe it will be more reliable than my current method. And seeing as how I want to get into ornamentals I need to get this seed starting thing down....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now here is what pisses people off... I don't bother ANY of those things inside, or with anything special. I go outside and dump some seeds on the ground or in a pot, add water and POOF there are flowers.

Never that easy for fruits or veggies... but never an issue starting flowers outside... my yard is covered! Even petunias are a breeze!!! ;)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pissed off indeed, Vhem, Pissed off indeed.

I am like totally positive it is user error. But I am a lone gardener. I don't know anyone personally who gardens or is even interested in gardening. Most just look at me sideways and make the snide comment of how I should be a farmer.....but I am going to keep trying...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed, I have the SAME problem with flower seeds. I can get any kind of veggie seed (well, almost any kind) to grow from seed, but alls I ever get from flower seeds are some sad little seedlings that take FOREVER to grow - not good when you're growing annuals in zone 6. :rolleyes:

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive had a devil of a time getting Catnip to sprout, recently. As for the rest of your methods, I cant see anything that leaps out at me. It may remain a mystery...

Are these fresh seeds?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there obsessed :frow

Try germinating them on damp paper towel in a sealed clear plastic bag. It works really well but can be fiddly with very tiny seeds but if you do it on strips you can plant the paper too.

Good luck!

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Hi there obsessed :frow

Try germinating them on damp paper towel in a sealed clear plastic bag. It works really well but can be fiddly with very tiny seeds but if you do it on strips you can plant the paper too.

Good luck!

:rose Hattie :rose
That's a good idea! I think that is how Nifty does it... there is a post of his somewhere with a step by step on some seeds he did last year this way.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried that. And I got them to germinate but could not figure on how to put them into a soil medium with damaging them. Some I damaged and some didn't root...

Latest posts