starting seeds

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok, so I've never started seeds before, but I'm going to this year. I am going to use cardboard egg cartons. I was wondering though if I have to use a grow light, or if placing them in southern facing windows will be sufficient?

Any other first time seed starter advise would be great too. Gardening is supposed to be relaxing, but I'm filled with anxiety about getting this years garden off to a good start... :barnie

The garden I planted last year did not do so hot, but this year I am armed with a little bit of home made compost, and tons of mulch - so I'm hoping for better results.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm going to do tomatoes, and peppers for sure, maybe eggplant and broccolli. I've actually been reading some other posts about starting seeds, I think I may have started a topic pre-maturly. :hide

I've got a long growing season, so I'll just be doing the ones that really could use a head start.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep the temps warm and stable at about 70 or so to get them to germinate. I start them in a heated room to sprout, then move them to the sunroom. One thing I learned after several tries is that once about half of them have sprouted, don't wait around on the others, get that lid off of there so they don't get leggy.

I use a southern facing window in my sunroom and have done fine, but I really think I will add some supplemental light this year to help things along. Some things get horribly leggy without it and look sickly (I've had really bad luck with cauilflower and some herbs too b/c of this).

Peppers in particular will need constant warm temps to get them to grow. They stall out if it's too cold. Tomatoes I had no problem with in the window.

When you get your first set of real leaves, then you can give them a light dose of miracle-grow or whatever in the water about every other week.

Anything you start indoors has to be hardened off before you can put it in the garden. I stick mine out in the shade/light morning or evening sun (bringing them in at night) for about 2 weeks before planting.

This is all I can think of right now, but I'm sure you'll get more replies!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you start tomatos and peppers in egg cartons, you are going to have to transplant them to something deeper within a few weeks so they don't get rootbound. I usually start mine looking at a 7 to 8 week old plant ready to transplant to the garden, hopefully timed for the right outside weather. Also, it seems that cardboard is going to get kinda soggy. Don't mean to be a downer, just my opinion. I do start tom's and peppers in eggshells in cartons, but I still wind up transplanting them to a larger container before they are ready to be moved to their permanent spot. :)

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am looking for lots of opinions, even the ones that may not be what I want to hear. ;)

Maybe I'll start them in some used berries-from-the-store-came-in-these containers that I've saved for some reason...

I did see in another thread someone had used very similar cookie containers...

Thanks y'all!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in zone 4, so I don't know too much about your tropical zone 8!! I am guessing you could use a cold frame now or at least soon.... Are your temps above freezing? How soon can you plant in the ground? Starting seeds inside is not all that difficult- the hard part comes when you try to get them outside. Hardening off, etc. I find starting things outside in a cold frame works best. If you can't use a cold frame, go ahead and start inside. Journey's advice is perfect. There is a learning curve, but you'll get it! Enjoy! Counting the days till spring!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look up "starting peppers from seeds" by Ariel. DigitS has pictures of his cookie containers that he uses and puts on top of the fridge. I'm new to this computer stuff so I don't know how to link it for you. Sorry.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I save tons of cottage cheese and sour cream containers (etc) and drill a couple holes in the bottoms for putting my tomatoes and peppers in as they get bigger, like bid mentioned. They are very durable and last forever and if I give a few plants away, I don't mind if I don't get them back. :)

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I save tons of cottage cheese and sour cream containers (etc) and drill a couple holes in the bottoms for putting my tomatoes and peppers in as they get bigger, like bid mentioned. They are very durable and last forever and if I give a few plants away, I don't mind if I don't get them back. :)
Thinking about it now, I do have some yogurt and cottage cheese containers that I have kept too - I've used those as the poor mans tupperware, but will sacrafice (sp?) them for the seeds!!!

Latest posts