Starting the season

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally, New York is getting some warm weather, temperature today was about seventy two degrees. I decided to begin opening the greenhouse a little early this year and began planting tomatoes in their self watering containers; I plan on doing a few every day until they are all planted. Planting in the ground is still more than a month away, so I am looking forward to an early harvest. The first two are a Burpee's Super Beefsteak and a Mortgage lifter.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished potting the greenhouse tomatoes today. Still have to run the water lines to the self watering planters, and repot the garden plants to larger pots, then it will be on to the cucumbers. If I had to work this hard for a living, I'd quit.

Reaction score
I feel your pain, Jackb. If I'm not chasing my 2 year old around, working my full time job, you can find me tending to my seedlings, and cuttings. This is a second full time job! I have a rather simple aeroponic cloning station set up, along with the more traditional seed starters (jiffy). Our greenhouse is set up and ready to go. We're new to greenhouse growing, so I've got a question for you. Living in CO, I feel like our climate HAS to be a little more forgiving than yours, for early planting (in the greenhouse). I've got some small zucchini, pumpkin, and other squashes that have absolutely taken off. I'm also growing all sorts of kale, lettuce, herbs, tomato, peppers, and such. I've just transplanted many of my biggest starters from the aeroponic rockwool (2 weeks in the aeroponics after germination), to soil. I'm wondering if it's too early to start sending them to the greenhouse. They are taking up much needed table space under my grow lamps.

My greenhouse does not have electricity (yet), nor is the watering system up and running (yet), as it's too early, here, to turn the sprinklers on. Right now, they are sustaining a temperature change from 80 degree-45 degrees F, on my sun porch. I would assume the fluctuation in temperature on my porch is similar to that in the greenhouse (or worse). I see you've started moving all of your small plants into your greenhouse. Am I just being a chicken? I would feel so horrible if I kill them off! I'm questioning the size of the seedlings too. When is the appropriate size for them to be off the grow lights? I guess I'm also worried about them not having the 24/7 grow light. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Jackb. If I'm not chasing my 2 year old around, working my full time job, you can find me tending to my seedlings, and cuttings. This is a second full time job! I have a rather simple aeroponic cloning station set up, along with the more traditional seed starters (jiffy). Our greenhouse is set up and ready to go. We're new to greenhouse growing, so I've got a question for you. Living in CO, I feel like our climate HAS to be a little more forgiving than yours, for early planting (in the greenhouse). I've got some small zucchini, pumpkin, and other squashes that have absolutely taken off. I'm also growing all sorts of kale, lettuce, herbs, tomato, peppers, and such. I've just transplanted many of my biggest starters from the aeroponic rockwool (2 weeks in the aeroponics after germination), to soil. I'm wondering if it's too early to start sending them to the greenhouse. They are taking up much needed table space under my grow lamps.

My greenhouse does not have electricity (yet), nor is the watering system up and running (yet), as it's too early, here, to turn the sprinklers on. Right now, they are sustaining a temperature change from 80 degree-45 degrees F, on my sun porch. I would assume the fluctuation in temperature on my porch is similar to that in the greenhouse (or worse). I see you've started moving all of your small plants into your greenhouse. Am I just being a chicken? I would feel so horrible if I kill them off! I'm questioning the size of the seedlings too. When is the appropriate size for them to be off the grow lights? I guess I'm also worried about them not having the 24/7 grow light. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Kelly, it sounds like you could use an assistant. I would not worry about the 24/7 grow light so much, I have always used an 18 hour photoperiod indoors. Early in the spring when conditions permit I move some plants into natural light in the greenhouse as soon as possible and return them to the grow light in the evening. As much as I like grow lights, you can't beat the sun for lighting plants. That said, your area gets a LOT more sunshine than mine, so unless you have automatic vent openers for the greenhouse, or someone to monitor the heat, you could cook your plants. Last night the outdoor temperature dropped to the thirties, so I have the heat on in the greenhouse, right now it is 52 F in there at 8 am. The fluctuation in temperature in my greenhouse is about the same as that on your porch. As for the size, I move them as soon as they have a few good size true leaves. With a greenhouse, temperature control is important. It can get very warm, so I use a shade cloth and wet the floor when necessary to keep the temperature from getting beyond the mid 90s. Sounds like you are on the right path already though. Good luck.
jack

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Jack, thanks for all of your very valuable input! I really appreciate it. We are definitely trying to build this greenhouse growing to last. We bought the greenhouse used, from a lady who seemed well versed in its growing potential. She urged us to put it up in a fashion that would optimize growing. We dug 3 cinder blocks worth of a foundation trench to place the greenhouse over. We removed the topsoil the greenhouse sits over. The greenhouse looks very similar to yours. Polycarb with an aluminum frame. We installed a wall of water on the west facing side. The door is south facing. The north and west sides and eaves are insulated. The south and east sides and eaves have a secondary plastic sheeting wall for thermoregulation. The house itself has the factory installed self regulating heat vent. We will be planting directly into the ground. The soil has been amended with garden soil, compost, and peet. I 'think' we have the bases covered?? I guess by reading your post, we should consider a wireless thermometer to watch the temp throughout the day.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kelly, it sure sounds like you are off to a great start. The wireless thermometer would be a good investment, my unit was inexpensive but has worked well for several years. There are some good books on greenhouse growing that may be available at your local library; I purchased several books when I first started in greenhouse growing. Again, best of luck.
jack

Latest posts