Stevia??? How to...???

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I want to grow a bunch of stevia this year for working with.

Anyone have growing tips and processing tips? I'm going to keep some dry just for teas, but I would like to get it so I can use it in baking and my raw food.

Let the knowledge flow!

;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't used it in baking, only in sweetening drinks with fresh leaves. I have dried it, just by hanging the branches up side down in bunches, but then I pretty much forgot I had it. I love the idea of it, but haven't had good results using it as sweetener. Too bitter/cloyingly sweet. Just didn't experiment enough, I guess. It's not hard to grow. Kinda grows like rosemary, but not winter hardy. The heat and sun didn't seem to bother it.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will tell you that I am using stevia in conjunction with honey. I agree that it is too intense! But with agave or honey it gives that extra sweet kick I miss in my attempt to give up refined sugar.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
I will tell you that I am using stevia in conjunction with honey. I agree that it is too intense! But with agave or honey it gives that extra sweet kick I miss in my attempt to give up refined sugar.
This is would be a great option for me. I am looking for a lower calorie options and cutting the honey with the stevia would be awesome option.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stevia seems to sell well as 4" pots, too, for you grower/sellers. But it may be too late to start some for this year. I've never seen the seed offered.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Stevia seems to sell well as 4" pots, too, for you grower/sellers. But it may be too late to start some for this year. I've never seen the seed offered.
I wonder if Whole Food Markets carry them? I know they have potted herbs.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I have! Now, if I could remember which of the 500 catalogs I saw it in...

Oh, here: http://parkseed.com/sugar-plant/p/05942-PK-P1/

What I am *not* sure of is if that's the same variety that the commercial processors are using, or if there are different ones with different tastes or sweetness levels. (Like the many varieties of basil, for example.)

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tried a plant one year, just as an experiment. Put it in the ground one day, and the cutworms got it the next... Thank goodness for our bees!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I bought seed this year at my farm store. Botanical Intrests seeds had it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown it from a nursery plant but never tried the seed. I hear it's germination rate is low, and that it's notoriously slow to emerge. You'll need to wear your patient hat!

Latest posts