Stevia

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of stevia threads, but i need more information before mine dies forever.

We bought a stevia plant from the extension center last spring, and we planted it in the garden. I didn't realize until recently that i was supposed to be pruning it in order to keep it from getting spindly and weird.

I definitely want to raise it for sweetener, and i would actually like to have a whole outdoor stevia garden in the future (once i figure out how to raise it!).

Today i pulled the plant out of the garden because it has flowered and was growing basically ON the ground. Both things you're not supposed to let it do!

So i thought that i would just get it out of there and start a new plant from it for next year--this time, in a pot.

I have read instructions on how to do this, but i really don't think i understand how to root it from a cutting. I would rather not use rooting hormone if possible.

Can anyone help me?

I don't really know what i'm doing yet. :hide

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
By the looks of the plant it should root very easy.

First if it flowered did you save any seeds from it?
I don't know anything about this plant so this is just my opinion.

Take as many cuttings as you can, just below a leaf node cut the stem at a sharp angle.

Remove most of the larger leaves and all of the lower leaves.
Put into sterile mix and cover with a plastic bag for a few days, when they perk back up you can remove the cover. Be sure to keep the air moist in the bag while it is on the cutting.
And also do not over water the mix or the cutting will rot off and die.

Good luck; Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
By the looks of the plant it should root very easy.

First if it flowered did you save any seeds from it?
I don't know anything about this plant so this is just my opinion.

Take as many cuttings as you can, just below a leaf node cut the stem at a sharp angle.

Remove most of the larger leaves and all of the lower leaves.
Put into sterile mix and cover with a plastic bag for a few days, when they perk back up you can remove the cover. Be sure to keep the air moist in the bag while it is on the cutting.
And also do not over water the mix or the cutting will rot off and die.

Good luck; Joe
What is a sterile mix? ( i told you i'm a newbie! :D )

I didn't save any seeds. I think the seeds are very small. I do still have some of the blossoms on the branches.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most potting mixes are sterile.
Save the blossoms, let them dry out good and save for spring time, Nothing to lose giving it a shot!

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Joe, you are very helpful! Thank you!

What would make a mix NOT sterile?
You are welcome.

Like say a bag of top soil is not sterile, it is just scoped up and put in a bag.

Sterile soil or even soil less mixes are free of weed seed and pathogens. Less chance of stem rot, fungus, mildew, ect.

You can look for seed starting mix and that will do good for you!

I have a cement mixer so I save money and mix my own soil.

Good luck; Joe

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hope yall dont mind if I keep this thread alive. I am interested in Stevia. Where do you get it? I dont see it advertised. How do you get the sweetner out of it?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Texan said:
I hope yall dont mind if I keep this thread alive. I am interested in Stevia. Where do you get it? I dont see it advertised. How do you get the sweetner out of it?
If you have any local nurseries that sell lots of herbs, they might have plants; otherwise plants or seeds are available online, e.g. http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X6030&cart_id=7276073.12924 (I am certain there are plenty of US sources too, I just happen to know that Richters has it :p and they *do* ship to the US, tho they are sold out of stevia seeds at the moment).

AFAIK you just dry and crumble the leaves to add to <whatever> to sweeten.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh good find Pat.
I was reading it is hard to start from seed but is easy to start cuttings.

I will look local for one first but I do want one!

Joe