Stevia

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Texan, i got my plant at a county extension office plant sale last spring. And i have heard of several people who got theirs from Wal-Mart or Lowes. Though, i think i would rather buy plants from the extension sale instead.

I'm still working on my methods for processing the leaves, but the basic method is to dry the leaves in the fall, before it flowers (which i missed) and then crush them. Some people just brew the leaves right along with their tea or whatever they want to sweeten. And some people make a tea from the Stevia leaves to sweeten with. I may move to that method because even though the leaves are very easy to dry and crush, i haven't been able to crush them small enough that they dissolve in say, a cup of hot tea. So i have to work on my crushing methods, maybe buy a mortar and pistle (is that the right word) or something.

They are always very sweet, and you can just eat the leaves right off the plant for a nice treat, but they're supposed to be their sweetest in the late fall, before they flower. Actually, mine flowered in September, so maybe that's early fall for us here in Texas.

Joe, i'd be shocked if you couldn't find them local in Florida, of all places!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found this place, being in the USA I would think it would be cheaper on shipping. ;)
$4.95 is a little high but you can keep making more so I guess it be worth the price for a few.

http://www.thegrowers-exchange.com/...ode=HER-ST01&gclid=CIakuO_e7J0CFRshnAod0jSFMA

I like this, it is on there about us page.
"Now we can provide our tenderly nurtured plants to the entire country. You see, in order for us to control the diversity and quality of the plants we offer, we needed to grow our own. (OK, so were kind of perfectionists, but thats good for the customer.) In 1987, we opened our nursery in Charles City County, 25 miles east of Richmond along the shores of the historic James River."

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Joe, i'd be shocked if you couldn't find them local in Florida, of all places!
I have not noticed any but I was not looking until now!

You could be right, they may be at the store all the time but just not aware of there great use!

I like sweet things but watch my sugar, this plant is what I need!

Thanks for bringing it up! I have heard of it but forgot the name.

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Hey, Texan, thanks for the planting zone link. I thought I was in Zone 5, but I guess I'm really in Zone 6. :tools
**ducks4you runs to "Profile" to quickly change signature moniker**
yeah me too! not me too zone 6. me too, thanks for the link. :)

According to the national map (or the ones i've seen, i'm pretty much on the line between 8 and 9. But our weather has seemed very 8-ish to me. The Texas zone link was very helpful. Thanks!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A good day for Ducks4you, she gains a whole Zone!

News at six!
Book.gif

Joe (The bored guy over here)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Joe, if you're bored go over here and lend me your expertise, will ya?
Okay now, I'm not that bored! :gig I am just joking.
I have to say if Ron can't tell you what that tree is I without a doubt
cannot!

Ron is our ID man! Beefy would be but Ron don't give him a chance.
Some say it is there connection speed, some just say stuff, but they would know before I would!

"I'm not a Horticulturalist Jim I'm just a Doctor!"

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Texan said:
I hope yall dont mind if I keep this thread alive. I am interested in Stevia. Where do you get it? I dont see it advertised. How do you get the sweetner out of it?
Found this at Jung's Seed catalog:
Herbs Herb Seeds

Herb Seeds

02449 - Stevia Or Sweetleaf

Stevia rebaudiana
Incredibly sweet leaves are many times sweeter than sugar. Use fresh, dried, powdered or in liquid form to sweeten food and beverages. Calorie-free and safe for diabetics. Grows fast in hot weather, bearing clusters of small white flowers in summer. Great container plant.

Product Pricing
Packet 1 - $1.75
5 - $8.00
10 - $14.50

Buy

Associated Products
12293 Stevia Or Sweetleaf

Product Details
Zones: 9-10
Light:
Height: 18" to 3'
Width: 0"