Stevia

NixChicks

Sprout
Reaction score
Yes, I grow Stevia in my herb garden. Right now I'm hardening off some to be planted in the ground. I grow it in containers in a sunny window in the winter.

I am a Stevia nut. It's the only sweetener I can use. But the cost is getting prohibitive. :(

countryatheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, I have never heard of anyone ever growing their own Stevia. I do know several people that use it. How did you get it started? Where do you get it?

gardener7

Leafing Out
Reaction score
mine are from bonnie.how do you harvest them?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother grew it from seed. It isn't hardy around here, however, you have to overwinter it in a greenhouse, and it's very susceptible to white flies.

NixChicks

Sprout
Reaction score
I lucked out and found plants at a local nursery and scooped them up fast!

To harvest, strip the leaves from the stalk in fall (BEFORE frost, they can't take ANY frost) and dry the leaves on a screen or net in full sun for about 12 hours. Crush or grind in a coffee grinder. Whala!

For great info go to stevia.net and search for growing stevia. Or just Google "how to grow stevia" and you can get lots of excellent information.

I love my stevia! Its easy to grow. Just doesn't like wet feet or soil that doesn't drain well. Prefers full sun. It doesn't like cool temperatures.

Enjoy.

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have stevia too. I have it in a pot and have wintered it for the past 2 years in a window sill. I got mine as a plant from Whole Foods but just this year I have seen packets of seeds for the first time. I almost bought some to grow more and I probably still should. I have had no luck with it as a sweetner by using the leaves from my one little plant. I don't think it makes enough to do more than a few cups of tea in a whole year. I am in zone 8 so I may get some seed and try it right in the ground as well as a couple more pots.

Lea

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saw it at Walmart yesterday in the garden herb section. I will have to check that how to site to see where and how to use it. Looks interesting, I might have to go back after some. (I need more peppers from there anyway) :D

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just got my stevia.. bonnie plants HAD some but they ran out and have not put anymore in.. I had to search all over town for a week looking for my plants.. I am going to try to green house winter them in the ground..

Place a small green house over them.. we dont get frost for tooo long here in pensacola

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
stevia.jpg

I just posted this pic in case any of you didn't know what Stevia is :-}

I used to have stevia in my herb garden for about 3 months but then dried up and died.

Latest posts