Stevia

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anyone grow Stevia? I want to try. Should I start with plants or seeds?

Thanks!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking about growing some too. I hear it is no more difficult than any other herb. :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I've been thinking about growing some too. I hear it is no more difficult than any other herb. :D
I think it depends on what part of the country you're in. It's sort of fussy about climate. It was a total bust in Oklahoma but grows fairly easily in San Diego (doesn't everything?)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat is bragging again!! Yes, everything grows in SoCal! I planted a pretty good size plant, that I bought somewhere, intending to use it as an annual. The cutworms destroyed it, overnight... So, if I try again, I will certainly put a collar around it! What a disappointment!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had one for 3 years in a pot. I forgot to bring it in during a cold snap and it died. I will get a new plant next year if I can. If not I will get some seed, but in my area it is something you want to grow in a pot.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've heard it is pretty hard to start from seed. Got a pot of it last year and that did pretty well.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had a pot of Stevia that I got from my place of work (Circle Herb Farm)....it's still going strong...I bring it in during the harsh Winters and outside for the rest of the year... It's getting nice size and is branching out quite well....

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Would you suggest a greenhouse over winter, semi heated garage or heated (between 62-70) basement? I imagine the basement would be too warm.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in zone 4 and have no Greenhouse...I keep it in a Southern facing window in the house along with my Plumerias, Oleanders, and a few other Herbs and they are ALL doing fine.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Personally I was dissapointed in stevia. I seem to get the same aftertaste you get from saccharine but other people tell me they don't taste that. A local nursery showed me several other plants that can be a sugar substitute but I forget what they were, I'll ask for a list next time I'm there. One of them was VERY sweet.

Latest posts