Sticker Shock

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it just me or have garden supplies skyrocketed in price? I needed to pick up some water filters at the Home Depot yesterday and of course I had to go check out the garden section while I was there. I am just about out of 10-10-10 and figured HEY! it's the off season and I bet I can get a good deal on a 40lb bag for lawn, flowers and shrubs.

$20.98 a bag! I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing it wrong. Needless to say I didn't buy any. Maybe the price will go down in a few months.

So, is it just me or have you noticed major price increases where you live?

andehens

Leafing Out
Reaction score
No its not just you, I use Preen in my flower beds and it went up a dollar and a half, I noticed that every thing in general in garden section is on the rise, I picked seeds up in the fall so don't know if they have gone up yet.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know commercial fertilizers use petroleum products, so I wonder if garden ones do, too? Plus, with corn prices having been up pretty high and Preen being a corn product, I guess it is to be expected :( That, and price with demand. It will be interesting to see if garden seeds and other materials sell out like hotcakes, if more people are turning to gardening for stress relief and a way to save money on food.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I'm looking forward to what I need to get now! :rolleyes:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Think of it as encouragement towards using less chemicals LOL

Pat, gardening organically in part (well ok, *small* part) b/c of being CHEAP :p

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Think of it as encouragement towards using less chemicals LOL

Pat, gardening organically in part (well ok, *small* part) b/c of being CHEAP :p
It is fun how organic and "green" gardening methods (at least on a home scale) are nearly always free. Just a lot more sweat labor :)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A classic case of negative reinforcement on chemical usage for sure. Most of my vegetable gardening is relatively chemical free, ok I usually side dress the corn but mostly it's compost.

CHEAP is a good thing Pat, I call it frugal tho...it's all in how you spin it :lol: waste not, want not type of philosophy ;).

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was at Lowes last night & seeds have gone up in price. I needed more beet seeds & noticed the price was higher than last yr. Not a lot per pkg but when you buy multiple pkgs that increase adds up quickly. There were some slots on the display that were already empty, so people are really starting to get their supplies here big time(although it is planting time for us). I did not check out the price of rakes or shovels as we do not need to replace any of those yet. But I did get new gardening gloves & they had some cloth ones clearanced for $.69 a pair. I got 4 pair, but I might go back & get some more @ that price & then I have them for a long time to come. Although I go thru at least 2-3 pair a yr. I also got a new pair of leather ones as mine old ones are starting to get holes & split, but I only use those for using my shovels & such. I noticed plants are higher in price too. Dh wants to get flowers started this yr out front & I am thinking we may be better off going with more seeds & a few plants to get them started. And just one flower bed this yr & add another one next yr. That way we make slow improvements that don't cost a lot & we can focus more on the food production than beauty.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been gardening for more than 40 years and it seems that prices for seed and supplies have sky rocketed in the past ten years more so than before...supply and demand????I dont know but I'd like to see tomatoes seeds back down to $.20 a packet LOL in my dreams :old

more reason to use heirlome seeds and save your own every year and join seed swaps and go organic...it is frugal, saving $$$$$

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seeds are out of control. I'm doing the bulk of my ordering from Pinetree due to costs. I still have a sizeable order with Johnny's, though. I'm at $221 for all the seeds I want (I haven't ordered anything for a couple of years), I've got to get out the pen and delete quite a few - although it's far cheaper to grow than to buy started! I have a new herb garden out front I need to populate, I'm considering growing the quantity plants I need, like germander for the edges. We'll see how ambitious I get!

Latest posts