Sticker Shock

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Seeds are out of control. I'm doing the bulk of my ordering from Pinetree due to costs. I still have a sizeable order with Johnny's, though. I'm at $221 for all the seeds I want (I haven't ordered anything for a couple of years), I've got to get out the pen and delete quite a few - although it's far cheaper to grow than to buy started! I have a new herb garden out front I need to populate, I'm considering growing the quantity plants I need, like germander for the edges. We'll see how ambitious I get!
what are you growing for herbs???

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't totally decided yet. I always grow basil (all different kinds) but usually get them from our plant sale in May (well worth the trip to Elm Bank for, by the way). I do have a Holy Basil on my list from Johnny's this year. For that ornamental herb garden I need to put my thinking cap on and come up with a plan before I order, I'll probably do that while I'm on vacation in a few weeks.

As far as what I grow for herbs in a season, I have lots - I'm in the New England Unit of The Herb Society of America, my mother is an herbalist, it's in my blood. I grow all kinds of culinary herbs, like dill, basil, winter and summer savory, salad burnett, chives, you name it, I've got it out there. I plant rosemary bushes every year (I don't bother trying to overwinter them), lavender, lemon verbena, angelica, I love having herbs in my gardens!!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gardening can get really expensive when you really add up the cost such as seeds, fertilizers, and the building cost. That is what is keeping me to a small garden.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Like anything I guess, you *can* spend a lot on gardening if you want, but it is by no means necessary. There isn't really any building required in most cases, and if there is (like you're on bedrock and NEED raised beds) you can perfectly well use scrounged stuff. If you save and trade seeds, and grow perennial things from seed or cuttings or tiny divisions, it needn't cost much for the plants themselves (unless you are planting an acre market garden but that's a whole different affair).

And as far as fertilizers, soil amendments, mulches, etc, the vast majority can be taken care of just fine by good compost, made from scrounged materials to whatever extent necessary.

The main thing that money substitutes for is TIME. As long as you are willing to supply the raw material and let things develop gradually, nature takes care of an awful lot of things on its own :p

I am certainly not criticizing anyone who spends whatever amount of money on their garden -- and I will admit I spend $300-400 per year, almost entirely on shrubs, trees and perennials, because it bugs me to live amongst 'nothing' and we are probably only going to be in this house for another 15 years -- but, it is not like spending money is some inherent requirement of gardening ;)

Indeed, given that things both rot down and grow ON THEIR OWN, gardening is in principle one of the less expensive things you can do ;)

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with Pat. I am spending about $400 this year, but that is for TWELVE FAMILIES! Of course, the bigger your garden, the less expensive it gets since the seed price drops dramatically for bulk sizes. I'm always shocked, though, when I hear someone say that gardening does not pay for itself. I can get a $1 packet of spinach seed that, planted in fall, will provide as much spinach as 10 families can eat, then come back in spring and do it all over again. Of course, there are always the duds (like my salsify and rutabagas last year) that bring the cost-benefit ratio down, but still.

I think part of it is finding really great prices, going together on seed with others to get the bulk discounts, finding the inexpensive ones at local farm stores or bulk seed in local stores. Also, starting your own seeds indoors takes the price down dramatically. I can buy 1 heirloom tomato plant for about $3 or the entire packet of 25 seeds for $3.

Also, I'm trying to teach myself the discipline of not reordering seeds when I already have enough of that type. For example, I have gobs of tomato seeds left from last year, and I'd like the discipline to stick with them for this year while they're still viable instead of spending another $30 on all those other luscious varieties I haven't tried yet! :p Of course, I haven't learned that yet...

Ok, stepping down off my soapbox :)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah that has always been my problem too then you end up with 12 packets of tomatoes or peppers or lavender and wonder if they are still good...