Sticky Weed Identification - Worst Weed Ever (well, almost)

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, Roundup will kill it. Make sure you get each rosette. Be careful with that stuff, they try to make it out to be so benign, but it isn't.

Instead of Monsanto Agent Orange RoundUp, grow yourself some of those 'ghost peppers', you know the ones they make you sign a waver to eat, grind them up and put in a spray bottle and douse problem weeds.

Natural, organic weed killer. That stuff will literally burn and kill the weeds or anything else it comes into contact with, so be sure to wear protective eye gear and gloves when handling the peppers or washing the containers you use to crush the peppers in.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cleavers actually has many medicinal uses. It grows in my flower/garden beds and the dogs eat it. I am just now studying this plant as something I would pick and dry for teas and other uses. I have always hated it because I have had to cut the hair off my dogs after they get all matted up with the sticky seeds. I have a good crop in the backyard of the empty house next door and I am going to pick and dehydrate some.
Read this, it is amazing.
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that's interesting!

... not enough to want to let it grow since it seems to spread REALLY easily, but if I find patches of it that were able to grow without me discovering them, it may be interesting to give it a try.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nifty, I'll give it a try and let you know if it is a good as it sounds. Last year's weed was dandelions. I made jelly (delicious) pancake syrup and tea with the flowers. Weeds, who knew?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The stuff (so to speak) is interesting.

I didn't know it was called "goosegrass" - I wonder if they do us the good favor of eating it. "Cleavers" makes sense, if there is sense to that word. Cleave means to both cling and "cut apart." Velcro cleaves; cleave it apart with an axe.

I can imagine it being harvested at the right moment, bundled up once it is dry, and being used to stuff a mattress. Bedstraw. If you don't have good use for the plants, better cleave a broad path through it. That's my thinking!

Steve

Latest posts