Stinging nettle everywhere! Help?

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Has anyone ever fought off stinging nettle? As soon as I get rid of the first batch (pulling out and sometimes hula hoe - then throwing away) a million baby stinging nettles pop right up behind. I feel like I must be going about this the wrong way and helping it multiply somehow. :( This stuff hurts and I'm starting to take it personally! :somad

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you live near a creek or wet area? If you're able to till it up, try planting an annual grass like wheat or rye. They'll keep most weeds from growing because they send out chemicals in their roots that inhibit other plants.

ETA: Just curious, is this area going to be lawn or garden space?

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's just outside of my garden area... but it is starting to grow in my garden area...
8005_013.jpg

8005_015.jpg

If it was normal weeds I probably wouldn't care as much... but I seem to get stung by this stuff at least once a day. Those sprouts just came up in one week.

As far as roundup... I don't know if that's an option because it's so close to my garden. Whenever my husband uses that stuff in the front I always end up with things that I've planted dying. He swears he's not spraying them, so I'm kind of afraid of weed killer.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have excellent luck with the SureShot foam. It goes where I want and nowhere else.

Personally, I think they're pretty plants, but I have ZERO tolerance for them in my yard. Literally, I have scars on my hands from the stings.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
stepstephens2 said:
As far as roundup... I don't know if that's an option because it's so close to my garden. Whenever my husband uses that stuff in the front I always end up with things that I've planted dying. He swears he's not spraying them, so I'm kind of afraid of weed killer.
Roundup will not spread through soil, but drift will definitely kill what it gets on. Spray only when it's still, and shield desirable plants with cardboard.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So funny though, I've bought bulk dried nettle before to add to herbal teas I make. It's actually quite good for you and can be cooked like spinach. Maybe you're looking at this from the wrong angle...perhaps some $$$ to be made? :lol: Just teasin' ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
to kill in yard, use 2-4D. I would go w/glysophate (generic chemical--think Round-up) in garden. If there is no breeze or fog in AM, drifting should not be a problem. If AM's are foggy, all chemicals will get into fog and drift where you don't want it. Think Murphy's Law.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was hoping that stinging nettle was the horrible prickly weed that's in my back garden, but the photos look nothing like it at all. This will grow tall, but it starts flat, with almost velvety leaves, then grows very large thorns. It's horrid, and I'd like to get rid of it , but it usually doens't come up until the garden comes in... digging and pulling haven't worked a bit in 3 years...

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
oooooooh, we have that nasty stuff here too, and you're RIGHT about it hurting!!
I have to be really careful when I'm walking around the yard and garden because I wear Chaco sandals .... and MAN does it hurt when it gets on ya! I have to watch for fire ant mounds too, so I feel like I never get to look up and watch where I'm going, only where my feet are landing! :)

I'm taking notes on how to get rid of it too -- I've spotted several small plants already, and don't want to see any more!

Latest posts