Stop using LED light?

PlantNurse15

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been using a LED light for my flower seedlings but now that my greenhouse is done should I only use that? For the past few weeks about half the time it has been cloudy. Also, what temperature should I keep my greenhouse at? It is about 1.5 feet by 3.5 feet.

Thank you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have just gone with 60°f overnight and 64° daytime. With bright sunlight, the temperature may be quite a bit warmer but I try to keep it well below 85°.

In some climates, supplemental lighting in greenhouses is a big PLUS.

There is such a variety of things in my little greenhouse. It boggles my mind to try to imagine ideal temperatures. There are both different requirements and ideals.

Plants use light for growth. Cool temperatures inhibit but it's light that allows for the building of carbohydrates into plant tissue. Heat is not a replacement but should be in balance with available light. Transplants with weak tissue are more vulnerable to outdoor garden conditions later.

Steve

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It won't hurt to continue using the led. And it would supplement the light on those cloudy days.
We are using LED light here almost everywhere, it seems fine. and we don't want that to change, LED lights are very useful.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It all depends on the plant. Some will germinate without light, just heat, some need the light, no heat, some need the light AND heat.
I LOVE my LED grow light! I bought LED lamp units for my garage. One had a problem and only one ballast was working, so I bought a pink LED gro light for it and I have it hanging above my planting shelving unit in the basement. I am starting tomato seeds under it right now and the container is top of a heat mat. You might want to research gardening in Alaska, where some places have 24 hr sun, which grow humongous sized cold weather vegetables.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've heard it said: Keep the temp in the greenhouse about 80 ~ but I've had it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over 100 with no problem ~ that is with air flowing through ~ I'd say 80 to 100 degrees F will be fine ~ that's a pretty small enclosure ~ you'll have a flap open when the temp get's up there ```