Storing flower bulbs!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just received a box of Allium and Tulip bulbs I ordered from Breck's :ya . I won't be planting these until around Thanksgiving in NC. I had to think of a good place to keep them until then for a month. I thought of the refridgerator since its nice and cool in there. I know your not suppose to have fruit like apples and vegetables with the bulbs, I have a spare fridge that doesn't have any fruits or vegetables in their, just water bottles and juice. I left them in their box they were shipped in, I should maybe take the plastic bag that's around them off. Its still quite warm in the garage so I didnt want to keep them in their, usually I do but only when its cool outside.

Does anyone else store their bulbs in the fridge?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your spare frig is the ideal place to store them.
As far as the plastic bag they're in, it most likely has some holes in it, so I would just leave it be.

THANX RICH

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good question!! I want to force some bulbs in water, I know they have to be chilled for weeks first. I only have 1 fridge, can I chill bulbs with fridge full of food ?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would leave them in the fridge until you get around to coming down and planting them. :) I hope our good weather holds out for you. Its supposed to be in the 80's later this week. Too bad it is still in the low 40's at night.

I'll be digging up and splitting bulbs soon.... its actually just been TOO warm for me to do it. LOL (I know, I'm full of excuses!)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! ;)

dickiebird,
Yep I thought the spare fridge would come in handy one day, it will be used to hold bulbs now. I just have to keep an eye on them from time to time to make sure theirs ventilation and the bulbs are keeping fresh.

Nyboy,
I know your not suppose to keep bulbs in a fridge with fruits and vegetables because they give off ethylene gas that kills the flowers inside the bulbs and can destroy it, That's why the spare fridge comes in handy to keeps the bulbs separate from food. Yep so keep those fruits and veggies away!

vfem,
Sounds good I'll keep them in then until then. Maybe by the time Thanksgiving rolls around the weather will cool down a bit, I don't mind the warm weather at all. I'll burn off all those calories from Thanksgiving dinner by planting flower bulbs and gardening! :lol: . The cool weather is good since it helps the bulbs to form roots under the ground. I sure can't wait to add more new bulbs to the flower bed it should all fill in nicely for next Spring. It sounds like the South is getting a very mild fall this year. Yes, I would wait until the weather cools down a bit to divide bulbs and replant them. Theirs plenty of time though to plant bulbs especially being in the south you can plant later than up north, even into December isn't too late.

Enjoy the Fall Days!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I would put a few pieces of charcoal into your spare fridge to help prevent mold growth on the bulbs.
Thanks for that tip catjac! ;) Does charcoal contain anti-mold properties in it? Will BBQ charcoal work.

Latest posts