storm damaged ash tree

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have an ash tree that was damaged by a recent storm. Some of the larger branches got ripped off. It is ragged where it got damaged. Should I use any kind of sealant on it, or let it heal by itself?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might get someone to trim it up a bit to make it look a little nicer. Have the cuts made at an angle so water doesn't collect on the wound. Tree wound paint is usually more effective on a small branch cut. It wouldn't hurt, but make sure the wood has dried out very well before applying anything. Ash are pretty hardy wild trees around here. A few little hollows will just make nice homes for squirrels and birds. If they don't collect water, it will not be so likely to rot out the whole center of the tree.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They're better than the native trees I have in MY yard. I think they're Hawthorne--clusters of white flowers in the Spring. EVERY time we have a SEVERE wind storm, we loose a limb. The one close to the house lost one a few years back that ALMOST took out a window. Even when you think they're dead, they grow back!!! :barnie
I REALLY need to get my chainsaw fixed, so I can Kill 'em!! :rant

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! the wound is too big for sealant, so I'll let it heal on its own. It looks preety good, except its ragged where it broke off. I guess it will be like the trees in the woods.

Raindance

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
They're better than the native trees I have in MY yard. I think they're Hawthorne--clusters of white flowers in the Spring. EVERY time we have a SEVERE wind storm, we loose a limb. The one close to the house lost one a few years back that ALMOST took out a window. Even when you think they're dead, they grow back!!! :barnie
I REALLY need to get my chainsaw fixed, so I can Kill 'em!! :rant
Do they have long thorns? Like, three inches long? If they do, then that's hawthorn, unless there's a cultivar that doesn't have thorns. :shrug

I've heard trying to doctor trees can be a bad thing. I cut dead branches off trees all the time and it doesn't hurt them, but putting sealant on can do more harm than good. Trees have their own mechanisms for healing themselves.

Latest posts