Storm took out my greenhouse :(

missourigirl11

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last week we had some storms and it really took a tole on my greenhouse :( Ripped off panels and bent the frame all up. My sweet husband had to go out and recuse ALL my plants that day. He put all them in the shed. So now they get no sun :( I have a light on my tomatoes. We ordered parts so HOPEFULLY they should be in by next week and hopefully get my green house back together. With no sun :coolsun do you think my plants will make it?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about that.

If your weather is decent during the day, you may be able to take the plants outside during the day then put them back in at night.

2 things though, at least:

Careful they do not get sunburnt or windblown. Provide some protection from that. Some kind of makeshift shelf outside would work.

You don't get to forget to bring them back in at night if it's going to get cold or especially if it'll freeze.

It's a bit of extra work, but might actually be good for your plants if your days are nice.

missourigirl11

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would do that BUT I have like a million plants :lol: Not quite but I have a load. It took me about half an hour or more just to move them from one side of the shed to another :barnie
I was just gonna see if you all thought they would survive or not. My hubby did order parts to fix it up, some of them were suppose to come in today and he said he will do what he can with those so hopefully in the next few days I will be able to move them back out. I hope so! I miss going out there!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest that you choose a manageable number of your plants, perhaps your favorite, or biggest producers (theoretically) or the rarest. Make arrangements to get these few out in the day light for a while each day. Maybe you can load them on a wagon or in a cart, so it won't be so many trips outside. Or even put the flats on a big piece of cardboard or a sheet, and drag the whole thing outside.

A different option would be to buy some shop lights to hang in the shed, over those chosen plants. They won't thrive, but you should be able to keep them alive.

I'm afraid if they are kept in the dark for the two weeks or 10 days you are implying, they will weaken to the point you won't be able to save them.

If you have free-ranging chickens, be sure not to put the plants where the chickens can get to them. They love tender little garden plants. :(

Good luck. I hope your DH gets the greenhouse functioning again soon!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Winds could gust as high as 41 mph." That is our forecast for tomorrow. They are always short. Even tho' time and again, their own machines measure wind gusts higher than forecast, the WS still guesses low.

I just add 5mph on to what ever they say and it is always about right. Wind gusts to 46 mph??? You see, Missourigirl11, you've got company!

I won't be going anywhere tomorrow. This was the warmest day this year at 73 and I had everything wide open. It was just fine but I may be facing some very high temperatures in the greenhouse tomorrow without a safe way to vent it. Actually, it isn't the greenhouse I'm concerned about so much as the other protected growing. My little hoopie might just have to be dismantled and the plants in it have to go sit in the dark garage for the day. It may be a day fit for neither man nor beast nor plant.

Steve

Latest posts