Straight Men And Bed Linens

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Go to bed, sleep, wake up, get up. Not a social area to host guests" Seed we all don't feel that way I host many guess there :celebrate
Oh, I realize that. Why studies say women would rather have sleep overs in their bed.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew all of those terms except boudoir pillow and still don't see why it is that different from a sham. Probably shape. I really don't care what they are called, a fake pillow is a fake pillow. Maybe if they have a removable washable cover they can be used for something, but otherwise I consider them just in the way. I have a certain place I put the one on my side at night so I don't trip over it in the dark. To me it is a safety hazard.

Can I make a bed? My drill sergeant thought so, at least most days, but drill sergeants are like that. No one ever meets their standards consistently. But no, I don't meet my wife's standards no matter how hard I try with something like that so I don't bother. I do put the fitted sheets on when we do laundry (usually her but occasionally me). With her arthritis she has trouble with putting fitted sheets back on. When she is not here overnight for whatever reason I pull the covers neatly back into place but that's not often. And certainly not up to her standards.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A sham has a decorative border they are the back pillows in photo. Boudoir pillow has no purpose other then style and can be any shape. My grandmother knitted me a bed spread and she made a matching boudoir pillow to go with it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My great aunt had an antebellum plantation home in Louisiana. (she died many years ago) It was furnished with period antiques. She had white bedspreads on the beds, called George Washington bedspreads. She had the round pillows on twin tester beds, the real pillows were in a drawer. She was very proper, everything had to be the right "look" and her home was perfect.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to have a pretty made bed. Then I met this someday-to-be-ex. I am now expected to sleep with a Harry Potter throw on top, and have to use black/gray/brown linens. That is because he works at a CNC machine shop for a foundry. No point spending my life fighting iron dust stains etc. I packed up my lady bed linens for now.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
all the linens that go on my bed are the same color, no patterns, same color fitting as the top sheet and then covered in horse type blankets<my side and the dogs side> so basically making my bed is wam bam and it's done........

just because of this thread i decided not to make my bed today.....:lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ask my nephew he thinks making bed not manly

Guess he's never been in the military then? They put GREAT stock in making a bed in the military. Quite a manly place to work.

Making one's bed has practical purposes, rather than feminine or masculine reasons. In a humid climate when one isn't living in a climate controlled environment, pulling the "covers"...they are called that for a reason, as they cover things besides the human body and for mere warmth....over the bottom sheet and the pillow keeps these linens from becoming damp from the humid air. Damp and warm creates mold, mold is bad to be rubbing one's body all over and breathing in each night, so it's just good sense to make the bed.

In ANY climate, when one lives in housing that is more open than the citified, pussy footed type housing us softy panty waisted people all live in now, pulling the covers over the mattress and tucking them in keeps the creepy crawlies out of that area. When one goes to bed at night and visibility is lower, climbing into that bed could have either dire results or merely painful results if a creeping thing has taken up temporary lodging in the bed clothing if the bed has not been made nice and tight.

Another practical application for making the bed is that smooth, flat sheets are more comfortable on which to sleep than bunched up, wrinkled, wadded up bedding....if you've ever been flat on your back in a hospital bed for days on end, you'll understand why they used to be(and I say used to be...that side of nursing has long went by the wayside)such sticklers on proper bed making in the hospital. Even one crease in that sheet can start feeling like you are sleeping on a razor after awhile. Also, wadded up bedding in a hospital setting is the site for any number of germs, forgotten needles, or bodily fluids to be discovered later by someone who is already compromised in health and mobility, thus unable to easily avoid such hazards.

Your nephew, much like a couple of my own sons, are too young and inexperienced in life to understand the practical purposes for making a bed and also the sheer indulgent FEEL of sliding into a clean, smooth, softly made bed of clean linens that have been properly aired, smoothed and prepared for a restful night of sleep. When you get old you start to appreciate any and all things that promote restful sleep. ;)

The military thought it was important enough all these many long years to teach this as a basic life skill and the more intelligent of those soldiers took that forward into their civilian life.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to have a pretty made bed. Then I met this someday-to-be-ex. I am now expected to sleep with a Harry Potter throw on top, and have to use black/gray/brown linens. That is because he works at a CNC machine shop for a foundry. No point spending my life fighting iron dust stains etc. I packed up my lady bed linens for now.
I worked in machine shops too. I left the iron filings, stains, in the shower downstairs.

Then I met this someday-to-be-ex
so when is the break for freedom?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I worked in machine shops too. I left the iron filings, stains, in the shower downstairs.

Then I met this someday-to-be-ex
so when is the break for freedom?

I will let y'all know. It is difficult finding employment after being unemployed since 2010.

Latest posts