Straight Men And Bed Linens

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, while i sure appreciate what you wrote there i don't find such beds comfortable at all.

i use blankets for the reason that you cite (sheets that crease feel sharp), but also because i don't like anything tucked in around me when i'm sleeping. i'll stick my feet out of the ends or off the side (radiators :) ), but if there is a loose topsheet i'll likely end up with it wrapped around my neck.

p.s. the thing that gives me the best sleep is the memory foam pad i have on top of the tuton. ever since i put that on it really helped with hip, lower back and shoulder pain. it's also very warm which isn't the best in the summer but i just use less or no covers then. in the winter it's nice and comfy in here...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
i use blankets for the reason that you cite (sheets that crease feel sharp), but also because i don't like anything tucked in around me when i'm sleeping. i'll stick my feet out of the ends or off the side (radiators :) ), but if there is a loose topsheet i'll likely end up with it wrapped around my neck.

I never use a top sheet either....can't stand them and for that reason. That wrapping around me at night when I toss and turn. Now, a fitted sheet, on the other hand, that's smooth and tight and of high thread count cotton, is integral to my good sleep.

I too can no longer sleep well without my memory foam. Old bones, you know. Recently I added a good quality feather pillow and I wondered why I hadn't done that years ago...my neck is doing MUCH better since adding the feather pillow to the sleep comfort matrix.

What I mean about a made bed is the fitted sheet actually being fitted...smooth and taut to the bed....and a cover/comforter/quilt of some kind made neatly over that throughout the day. I can see no reason for more than one pillow as I only have one head. So, my bed is a very simple thing of sheet, cover, pillow. Easy to make, easy to keep smooth and cool and easy to climb into each night.

All that other stuff is just unneeded nonsense that complicates one's life. :D

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
If Ava doesn't mind who are we to criticize? :D

as long as ava can make the bed as she wants ,thats all that matters. shes my little heater on a cold night. now with the passing of toby my head is cold, she loved to cuddle on my head crazy cat.. since her passing nola has taken over her royal quadrant of the bed

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have adjustable beds with massage. I kept the king size pure latex rubber mattress we had, I just cut it in two for our two extra long twins. We've had that latex mattress for 20 years, still sleeps perfect. Adjustable beds are a little tricky to put fitted sheets on, I put the head/foot up and put the sheet on. Then I hit FLAT on the remote and it straightens out, stretching the bottom sheet tight. Then I just tuck it in.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My great aunt had an antebellum plantation home in Louisiana. (she died many years ago) It was furnished with period antiques. She had white bedspreads on the beds, called George Washington bedspreads. She had the round pillows on twin tester beds, the real pillows were in a drawer. She was very proper, everything had to be the right "look" and her home was perfect.
I would have liked your aunt

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never use a top sheet either....can't stand them and for that reason. That wrapping around me at night when I toss and turn. Now, a fitted sheet, on the other hand, that's smooth and tight and of high thread count cotton, is integral to my good sleep.

I too can no longer sleep well without my memory foam. Old bones, you know. Recently I added a good quality feather pillow and I wondered why I hadn't done that years ago...my neck is doing MUCH better since adding the feather pillow to the sleep comfort matrix.

What I mean about a made bed is the fitted sheet actually being fitted...smooth and taut to the bed....and a cover/comforter/quilt of some kind made neatly over that throughout the day. I can see no reason for more than one pillow as I only have one head. So, my bed is a very simple thing of sheet, cover, pillow. Easy to make, easy to keep smooth and cool and easy to climb into each night.

Do you read or watch tv in bed? I do both so therefore my husband and I each have a total of 3 regular size pillows plus there are 3 small decorative ones. I always use one of them on top of my 3 to prop me up. Perfect position to read or watch tv in bed for me. When I'm ready to go to sleep I take my 2 extra pillows and put them on our bedroom chair.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i don't need more clutter in my room for sure! :)

i have a nice fluffy blanket on the bottom. it's soft, fuzzy, feels great, it's not cool in the summer but like i said before i just don't use much for covers that time of the year if it gets too hot (it usually doesn't because Mom needs the AC on now so i'm usually cool enough to use a light blanket).

i'm very much a "go by feel" person when it comes down to clothes and blankets or what i have to sleep on or with. i don't really care what they look like as long as they are clean enough and feel good (but there is a color theme here to work with so i have a bright cranberry colored blanket on the bottom, my pillows are usually darker green :) ).

Latest posts