Strange Sandwich

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My father grills his pb & j sandwiches like grilled cheese. My mother and I like lettuce sandwiches...the first handfuls of lettuce from the garden every year, sprinkled with salt and put on buttered white bread (or toast). I like a bit of mustard on mine. Cream cheese and salami is very good to add as well.

I love fried bologna sandwiches, but my favorite use of bologna is to cube and fry it, then make milk gravy on it like you would sausage gravy for biscuits. I also have a customer at work who comes in and buys half a loaf of bologna every few weeks to smoke it. One of these days I'm going to have to try a smoked bologna sandwich!

misfitmorgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We do the fried pb & j and tomato sandwiches as well....love it.

If your talking a technical sandwich...about anything, ketchup, mayo, miracle whip, slice of cheese, chip dip, ranch, nacho cheese, cheese con queso.....those are usually by themselves, like a ketchup sandwich, etc.

Things other people might actually consider a sandwich, pb & honey or pb and butter are awesome. PB and butter people think is crazy but try it once its awesome and dont skimp on the SALTED butter it needs to offset the pb.

In the summer I love cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches too, add a little fresh dill sometimes.

We too like fried bologna or fried spam sandwiches.
My dad use to make fried spam with cheese sandwiches. He would thick slice the spam and fry it, then make a sandwich and butter it, then toast it like grilled cheese. So good!!! :drool

Not a sandwich but my mom used to sometimes make pb toast and then pour maple syrup on it...also very good.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ah, now we are getting into the thick of it! :)

talk of bologna has gotten me thinking of our ground pickle and bologna spread that we make.

depending upon how much of each that you like what we normally do is to each ring of bologna we add 1-2 dill pickles and about half an onion. mix it all together.

we pack this into quart jars and freeze it without any added mayo because it is much better added fresh. cheese is also a good addition or a slice over this spread on bread and then put in the broiler for a few moments to brown/melt the cheese... yum...

pickled bologna is in a whole different class, but still good. :)

when you get into the butter and sugar half sandwiches you are reminding me of childhood snacks. peanut butter and brown sugar, brown sugar mixed with oats and butter (not cooked), etc. all quite feasible to a child rummaging in the cupboards for anything and making use of whatever came to sight first.

probably some of my earliest solo cooking would be fried bologna and ketchup with a bit of brown sugar and onion powder in it to make it more like a bbq sauce. since i often was cooking with Mom anyways i didn't ever think i couldn't do it and Mom didn't care as long as i cleaned up my mess. after age 9 i was doing the evening cooking or warming up of things that were made by Mom so i could put them in the oven when i came home from school. she worked until later in the evening.

hmm, what else was strange that we made, onion rings, we loved onion rings and had a small fondue pot for them for a few years. these are not technically sandwiches. but, yes we did live through the fondue craze. i think it has tried to come back a few times since then... who can't love beery cheese with plenty of horseradish? good for dipping about anything.

to this day hot dogs (which to me is just another form of bologna anyways) are a nice change of pace. i don't like to eat them all the time or a lot, but we still do and they make a good sandwich called pigs in a blanket rolled up with cheese and bacon in a cresent roll.

once i got going on making my own bread instead of making bread for sandwiches i was making breads of many kinds for pizza crusts. i was really active at this part of my life so i could make a different pizza three times a week and eat half each day and still keep a steady weight. i was hiking and swimming a lot. i tried all sorts of different crusts and topping combinations that others wouldn't even think of. no, i never made any kind of liver pizza.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky What is this “left over bacon” you speak of?

we have a whole bag of it in the fridge now. we don't cook slices any more since they came out with these bags. i can take a little bit out of the bag that i need for a sammich and nuke it to the desired crispness in about 20-30 seconds and it's ready. no waste of grease. at about 1 & 1/2lbs per bag, but minus grease we figure it costs about the same as regular bacon or may even be cheaper.

i'm not a huge fan of plastic wrapping so to me it would be better if it came in a jar, but that's just me... i don't cook it in plastic anyways.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One thing we do differently than others with our grilled cheese sandwiches is to put onions on them....takes them to a whole new level and now we can't have them without the onions.

Well, I put onions (or more often, scallions) in my tuna melts. And the tuna itself is seasoned with sandwich sprinkle (basically a mix of salt, pepper and Italian seasoning). Same thing with my crabby melts (same as a tuna melt, but with crab instead of tuna)

When I was a kid, I used to eat peanut butter and cream cheese sandwiches

Actually, I put cheese in a lot of things a lot of people wouldn't like oatmeal (unsweetened oatmeal, I'm not THAT crazy) as far as I was concerned it was a perfect breakfast (and is still good for filling one up on a cold day).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that a strange breakfast, @Pulsegleaner ?

I stopped drinking any kind of milk (or pseudo-milk) for a time and began putting margarine or cream cheese on hot cereal. I still do that instead of using almond or soy milk.

Just saying on the weather thread that we had fish and cheese with toasted bread for dinner. I also dice cheddar and mix it in with tuna and mayo sometimes for grilled sandwiches.

Steve

Latest posts