straw flowers

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Has anyone started them from seed?
I just learned about them this yr. and love them.
Would love to line my garden with them next yr.
Thank you

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, strawflowers!

@spookybird , I worked with roses for years but that was in a commercial greenhouse. Have a few outdoor bushes now but have learned that there is lots of differences with roses outdoors and that I'd better be super conservative about advice. So, I'll keep quiet about your rose problems ;).

Strawflowers? Sure ... started the plants indoors and set them out after frost. There are a few plants in the garden this year but the seed was old and didn't germinate well or there would be more. This is the first time out of about 10 seasons when I have had trouble with starting them.

They are a little prone to mildew but not too bad. I have refrained from spaying them with anything. That has worked out well in an unexpected way. The aphids must like them but last year especially, they were just swarming with ladybugs and yellow jackets! You know, beneficial bugs!

I don't usually feel that I need to spray flowers intended for drying, anyway. Strawflowers should be picked early, when the buds are swollen but not yet open. They open while hanging in the carport. The ones fully open will get a little ratty looking even if they are lovely when I cut them.

You can use florist wire to secure the flowers to something. For all the everlasting quality of the flowers, the stems have no strength after drying.

Steve

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you Steve!! I'm growing some this year and was wondering about how to preserve some for using later. Let me know if you want some new seed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Steve you know your straw flowers! Thanks. @SweetMissDaisy I would love a few to try next season. There are a few spots where plants failed and I could add the strawflowers for fun. :)

spookybird

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll be buying seeds in the spring. they have done really well in my garden this yr. even with the terrible humidity!

Latest posts