Strawberries

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last spring I planted a dozen hybrid everbearing strawbwerry plants on 3 raised hill beds. By Summer I began to harvest 1 pounds of berries every 2-3 days. I also have one hill of 7 " wild strawberries " that had produced about 3 pounds of berries at best for 3 weeks, then quit producing. Then the heat was turned on by Mother Nature and the production whent down and the plants sent out runners. MORE PLANTS !!! Starting about 3 weeks ago, they had a second flush and I started to harvest 2-3 lbs. of berries every other day ( sometimes on the 3rd day depending on how clowdyand or rainy and cool it was). We have been eating strawberries for desert every day :drool , giving away 1- 2 lbs. now and then to friends and neighbors. We have almost 50 lbs. in the freezer, stem ends removed and cut in half and ready to become jams and jellies just as soon as my wife gets some free time. I just came in from picking 3 lbs. of strawberries and will process them to put in the freezer. :thumbsup

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering, too, @bobm. What kind of strawberries yields that much, over that long period of time?
(As proof, you may have to send me all your frozen berries, so I can verify your statements):p

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bobm, you have only 19 strawberry plants and they produced that much?! Just reread your post, was that 12 plants on each of your 3 hills for a total of 36 plants there?

I have a small bed where I just removed some crappy strawberry plants. It was more my fault since I didn't amend the soil very well. It's amended now and I can't decide if I should plant strawberries there again or peppers. So many decisions.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife bought them from a local nursery . They told her that they were a commercial hybrid ( she just doen't remember what the cross was ) that are grown at picked that morning and shiped direct to local grocery stores for fresh eating commercial farms here in SW Washington. :th I first added lots of horse manure, mulch and peat moss, then fertilizer before planting . I fertilize them with ammonium sulfate every other week as they are heavy feedrs. And... they taste NICE AND SWEET WITH GREAT STRAWBERRY FLAVOR :drool :drool :drool... GREAT FOR EATING JUST AS ONE PICKS IT RIGHT OFF THE PLANT OR FOR DESERT ON A STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE. :celebrate Oh yea, send me a wheelbarow full of Spanish gold dabloons to cover shipping costs. NO cod's as my wife said that she will start up the canning pot this afternoon. Act right now ( like within the next hour) or forever hold your peace. ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm we have ever bearers that produced a berry here and there almost all summer. Not enough to do anything but make the Grandsons happy, especially if they where helping Papa at the garden and eating all the berries they picked then teasing Grandma with that fact. Little Stinkers. ;)

Latest posts