Strawberry Disease evident! (pics added Pg 2)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My strawberry plants (not all) are now showing spots that appear to be "leaf spot" from fungal infection. From what I've read it appears the infection of the fungus had to be over wintered to appear on new plants. As I've had these a matter of weeks, and they are in fresh soil that has never grown anything else, let alone strawberries... I'm assuming it was infected berries from the nursery I ordered them from. Should I contact them about this?! Would it make a difference?

I'm already getting blooms on the berries, I was told it doesn't affect fruit but to treat the leaves with a copper compound before the blooms appear or after harvesting all fruit from them. Should I just remove ALL the blooms and treat them now? I have about 12 plants showing signs of this. They are randomly spread out all over, so chances are it will spread to any plants that appear uninfected as well.

Edited to add:

I clicked on the wrong area to post this, so if someone wants to move this to the disease and pest area thats fine!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would call the nursery and let them know...I would be ticked off if they sent me infected plants... Copper sulfate will help with the leaf spot but be very careful you dont over use it or use it near a pond or stream or shere it can get into ground water...use gloves and a mask when applying it...read the directions carefully

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would complain. Strawberries ain't cheap.... and if you lose them all.... I would complain.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Have you thought about trying liquid copper? It's a spray and "fairly" safe compared with other stuff. On most stuff I think the label says you can use it up to day of harvest , but I don't think I would do that. I've had good luck with it for controling blight on tomatoes but you have to use it every week or two since it is water soluble. I can look at my bottle for more info if you need me to.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'd take off the blossoms and treat with jlmann's liquid copper if you can find it. You'll probably get bigger better strawberries if you give the roots time to establish anyway. This may depend on your climate.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am thinking of removing the blossoms and treating. Originally I wasn't going to remove all of them... I was just going to allow for 1 berry or 2 per plant since they grew so large and leafed out so well already.

I would prefer to use the spray actually, I would like to know the brand and such. I'm trying to get a credit from the nursery... maybe it will be enough for the treatment spray if they have it!

Turns out that 15 of my plants have NO leaves, but I ALWAYS look and see new leaves developing.... turns out squirrels have been eating them and I don't know if they are infected too now. Probably!?

I do have one concern with that spray, we do have a pond on the property with wildlife on it... how dangerous is this really going to be?! Easpecially if I have to treat often?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the leaves?

My strawberries had strange brown spots on them a couple years ago, but they were from the stress of transplanting and poor soil combined with not enough water (I was a bad strawberry momma :( )

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
There are several brands of liquid copper - try googling "liquid copper fungicide". How close is the pond? You wouldn't want to get any type of spray in the water , but if it is not right on top of your garden you could spray on calm days or when the wind is blowing AWAY from the pond. Just have to be cautious with any type of spray. That said - Southern Agricultural Insecticides is the manufacturer of the bottle I have now and it just says "Liquid Copper Fungicide" in bold type on the label. I would worry about runoff if your pond is close to your garden,too. Hope this helps!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really should go get a pic. Its super muddy right now out... (I just mopped the kitchen) so I'll wait until this afternoon long as the rain is done for the day.

I'm hoping its something else... maybe stress... but it does look like a lot of the pictures I've seen of leaf spot. dark purpley outside lining a tanish color inside all these small spots.

Crossing my fingers I'm just over reacting.

What worries me is 1/2 my stock of strawberries is RIGHT next to the pond. In that 3 tiered raised bed I built. Those are the ones the squirrels have eaten all the leaves off of though. I only see the leaves on my plants right next to my veggie garden.

Oh this is making me so sad. :hit

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If it is rust spots I would try using Rose Defense. It's made out of neem oil and it's safe to eat anything sprayed the same day.

It's worked on my rust problems over the years.

Latest posts