Strawberry Disease evident! (pics added Pg 2)

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
There are other ways to get it under control. There was a link over on BYC today in one of the threads over there-it talked about organic controls for stuff like this. I think apple cider vinegar was one thing, milk was another one. Don't get too upset. You should be able to find something that will work and not wipe out your pond.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let me go take a look in my gardening book... there is quite a bit about strawberries... However... what I don't like is when I look up treatments the first remark is "don't by infected plants"... blah blah.

I bought these from Gurney's online, and I heard nothing but awesome feedback about their started fruit plants and trees. :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... these are a couple of them. I'm really hoping I'm wrong. Now how I wanted to start off the spring and all. But it looks just like what I've seen about it.

strawberry_spot1.jpg

strawberry_spot2.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you should either treat the plants or try to replace them, but definetly let Gurney's know about the problem.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That doesn't look so bad. 2 questions. 1: did you recently plant them outside?
2: have you had temperature extremes lately?

The reason I ask is it doesn't really look like fungus or bacteria to me. It kind of looks like either cold damage or scorch. Were the affected leaves there when you first planted them? The new growth looks OK to me. I would probably pull the affected leaves and just keep an eye on them for a while before you spray anything.

I may be wrong - kind of hard to tell from the pictures.

edited to add: If they took a beating on a windy day right after you set them out it could also cause the leaves to look like that.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted them with NO leaves from when they came. They've filled out themselves in the last couple of weeks. Our temps have been in and out of the 70's with an 85 degree day on Saturday! I noticed this yesterday.

Its the dark edging on the spots that make it look just like all the pics of leaf spot I've come across. Its not exactly a normal fungus... its a disease caused by a fungus on a mother plant, that geneticlly goes over into a daughter plant and has to over winter to show up on the leaves. As I only have about 12 infected leaves total, I am going to pull them... but I do see the marks starting to appear on several other new leaves coming in that aren't even fulling open yet.

I've tried emailing customer service at Gurney's as I can not find an 800 #. No one has responded.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks like they have been scorched to me rather than an infection, as jlmann said. The second photo especially. Let them go another week and see how they do. Just to be on the safe side, if you do pull any leaves, don't throw them in your compost pile.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I found a number for them, and they are sending me a reshipment of these strawberries to replace them.I'm going to try to control the one's I have. I'm sure the one by the pond are done for though. So we'll just try again!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
It looks like they have been scorched to me rather than an infection, as jlmann said. The second photo especially. Let them go another week and see how they do. Just to be on the safe side, if you do pull any leaves, don't throw them in your compost pile.
Oh yeah, I saw they said burn them on the agri website! Into the burn pile the leaves will go. I will try to save whats there. They said the next shipment won't be for another 2 weeks, so we'll see if there are any changes between now and then.

Gurney's didn't ask me 10000 questions either... they just wanted to remedy it and offered me a replacement because of my concern. They were super nice!!!!

Latest posts