Strawberry Fields Forever?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I spent some time weeding out one of my garden paths. I had a bunch of strawberry runners that I decided to pot up rather than weed out. I got really tired after all that work. Phew! I couldn't understand why I was tired, until I realized I had potted up 35 strawberry plants. LOL That was from just 4 strawberry plants that I bought last year.

I didn't have time to fuss over the original 4 strawberry plants, but I also didn't know that technically if you want good strawberry production you are supposed to cut all the runners off before they try to establish new plants. I'm kind of glad for my ignorance, in this case, as those strawberry plants really multiplied for me!

I also recall on the edges of my subconscious hearing something about strawberries having a limited productive life. I guess the commercial growers only keep plants for 2 years or so, after which production supposedly drops off. There are techniques to trick the plant (severe pruning) into continuing to produce, but the best thing to do is to take out half your plants and let new runners establish from neighboring plants, then repeat with the other half. (Clear every other row, every other year). Does anyone have experience with doing this?

I haven't decided what I will ultimately do, since I don't grow my strawberries all in one garden space . . . mine are dispersed all over my garden, so it would be labor intensive and nearly impossible to remember how old any given plant is.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would find a spot where you can put them all together or you may go nuts trying to keep up with them...My strawberries are 6 years old and still producing... everyother year is a heavy crop year... I let the runners go where they want to with in limits...

Ellie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Mine lasted four or five years, but the lady where I buy the plants say that is a little unusual. They usually last two to three years. I think it is because I put them in holes in black plastic and water them three times a day. I live where it is very hot.

Latest posts