Strawberry plant bagged upside down.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a strawberry plant, the kind that is in a bag, in a box. My raspberry plant and blueberry plant came with a stem sticking out the top of the bag. The strawberry did not. When I opened it, I found it roots up, plant down, and the green part of it was rotted. Is it still salvageable? If I plant the roots will they try again?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a strawberry plant, the kind that is in a bag, in a box. My raspberry plant and blueberry plant came with a stem sticking out the top of the bag. The strawberry did not. When I opened it, I found it roots up, plant down, and the green part of it was rotted. Is it still salvageable? If I plant the roots will they try again?
I will suggest you to ask for a new plant first, and meanwhile, give the one a chance. Usually, strawberry plant is pretty tough. Last year I received a poor basswood (Linden) with just a few roots, but other 5 had strong root systems and were very healthy. I called the seller and sent them the photo. They delivered a much healthy one soon.

I temporarily dug a hole in one raised bed for that poor young tree, and it survived!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My advice for strawberries would be to find someone locally to get some plant’s or runners from. They will be much healthier than anything you will buy and ship thru the mail.
Typically i renovate mine each year and end up with a 5 gallon bucket of culls in the process. As @Phaedra mentioned they are tough.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

remove the dead stuff but don't pull the crown completely apart. plant it in good potting soil or garden soil and keep it moist and see what happens. it may recover if it wasn't completely dried out.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will suggest you to ask for a new plant first, and meanwhile, give the one a chance. Usually, strawberry plant is pretty tough. Last year I received a poor basswood (Linden) with just a few roots, but other 5 had strong root systems and were very healthy. I called the seller and sent them the photo. They delivered a much healthy one soon.

I temporarily dug a hole in one raised bed for that poor young tree, and it survived!
I'll take it to the store I bought it at tomorrow and see what they say.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Agreed with above. Use their guarantees and have them send another strawberry.
Meanwhile it needs to dry out on top, and plant below. It may recover.
My experience is that once rotting, you get one chance to nurse it back.
2x and it's a goner.

Latest posts