Strawberry Purchase

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Went to the local farm store Monday and they had some of their spring bulbs in. I love elephant ears and went looking for them. Before I found them I seen asp. crowns, then rhubarb and then strawberries, oh my goodness, just boxes full of strawberry crowns.
They wern't packaged like I usually find them, just bundles of 10 crowns stuffed in the boxes. With a price on the box of 39 cents.
I asked the greeter how they were priced and she went to a cash out stand and said she thought by the notes there that each bundle of 10 was $.39. She then scanned one of the boxes and decided she was correct.
WELL I bought 20 bundles of strawberries and 5 rhubarb roots and headed home.
I then called my gardening buddiy and told him about my purchase and he asked me to pick some up for him.
Yesterday I got his and I ended up buying all they had left plus 5 more rhubarb roots and still forgot my elephant ears!!!
By the way, the rhubarb was $1.39 per root stock.
Since the weather is a little better, but the ground is too wet to plant I decided to put some of the strawberry crowns in 5 gal buckets out in the green house. so far I've got about 100 stuck in the dirt.

THANX RICH

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What variety were they? Everbearing or June bearing? That sounds like a deal but I don't know where I'd put that many. 200 strawberry plants. Wow!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistle; strawberries were the reason I started a garden and yes I do love strawberry/rhubarb pie!!!

ridge; both everbearing and June bearing. Yaknow it said on the boxes what the 3 varieties were but it didn't say on the tags that were with the plants.

THANX RICH

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wholesaler must have left a zero off the invoice price. I think I paid about 6 bucks for about 15 plants a couple years ago. Or maybe the fact that they weren't labeled made them have to "give" them away. Either way, Yea for dickiebird! Great find!