Stretching your EBT/Food Stamp Dollars

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not know if this is still the case, but back in the late 1980s when I was getting food stamps, we could buy fruit and vegetable seeds and seedlings at the store with food stamps. For those here who are on the EBT/food stamp program or if someone you know/love is on that program, you may wish to look into it and find out if you can still buy seeds/seedlings with food stamps. I mean, you can't buy flowers and such, but if it's a food, I think you can. At least you used to be able to.

I once had a friend who bought an apple tree seedling with her food stamps in the early 80s. She put it in her back yard. She passed away many years ago, but that tree is still in the back yard of her old house & the folks who live there now are enjoying those apples to this day!

Just a thought.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll have to ask a friend of mine to check on this in our area. i never knew you could do that! sounds like an awesome idea though! i know here they are now allowing people to use their cards at farmers markets for fresh and local produce!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here you can use your EBT to buy veggies and 'some' started plants at the farmer's markets. You can't goto nurseries or walmart nursery area and buy seeds or started plants though. You have to 'register' your EBT with the program before you can use it at the farmer's market. If you have kids they ask you to apply for the program through WIC before EBT will cover your family for it first.

Hate admitting it, but we've been on EBT for 2 years now... I rather not go through the hassle. I'll spend my $20-$30 on seed and plants out of pocket and still get $100's in savings on fresh produce. :)

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
Here you can use your EBT to buy veggies and 'some' started plants at the farmer's markets. You can't goto nurseries or walmart nursery area and buy seeds or started plants though. You have to 'register' your EBT with the program before you can use it at the farmer's market. If you have kids they ask you to apply for the program through WIC before EBT will cover your family for it first.

Hate admitting it, but we've been on EBT for 2 years now... I rather not go through the hassle. I'll spend my $20-$30 on seed and plants out of pocket and still get $100's in savings on fresh produce. :)
But it is people like you, who try to save money and who use link/ebt correctly that make me have some faith in the system.
When I was on link, I used coupons and shopped sales and stretched everywhere I could. BUT my area doesnt allow farmers market purchaces, seeds and seedlings or anything like that. So I saved up where I could and bought seeds and seedlings with whatever money I could scroung up and it majorly paid off in the long run. :weight

Why not let people get fresh local produce and grow their own food, ohhh no lets encourge them to eat junk because it is cheaper and ggggrrrrrrrrrrr
never mind I will get off my soap box now..... :duc

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thankfully the wic and food stamps in out area give voucher out for purchases at the local farmers market. DH and I have not had to use the programs but son & DIL have. It is great that they can get fresh fruits and vegtables. Then of course there is always plenty in our garden to share. :)

Latest posts