stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
there's a stage where the beans are no longer picking up any more nutrients from the plants (when the connection between the pod and the bean has dried up enough that nothing is capable of flowing any longer to the bean). you can check this by picking a few as they finish up to see what they look like. after that point the only reason to leave them on the plant is if you happen to have a nice dry climate where they can finish without spoiling and you don't have creatures that like to take some.

here it often works out that i have to harvest as the pods start drying because we get so many rains and heavy dewfalls or fogs.

as for productivity of the beans you're growing, i'm of the opinion that i don't need a bean plant to be hugely productive to call it worth growing, if it gives me enough seeds back that i can eat some and replant the rest then that is enough for me. other bean plants may be more productive given your conditions. i know for here that some beans i've grown are hardly worth it but i keep hoping they'll cross with some of the others that are better producers. we'll see what happens next... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
not too much going on outside yet, some flowers might be poking up pretty soon with the warmer weather and the return of more sunshine. :)

yesterday i replaced a few light fixtures, the last of the lights in the house that were fluorescent that had been up for 23+yrs. finally were showing signs of burning out the bulbs and it was easier to replace the entire fixture than to redo the bulbs. luckily the holes for mounting them on the ceiling did line up well enough that i didn't have to drill any more new holes so that made the project go a lot quicker. since when have you done any projects at home that went quicker and easier than you expected?! pretty rare for that to happen...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anything that I do that is new and different has what must be better than a 50% chance that it will need a re-do.

There is some chance that it still won't be right. If'n it's okay! I consider that it's a 100% for digitS'

I don't know how to grade shear ☘GooD-LucK 🍀 if'n it turns out okay on the first go-around. It makes me feel good but I allow myself to feel good on a one-time re-do. Yep.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
progress is happening! :) took some pictures today, worked on a garden, came in and tried out my process for moving pictures from the camera to the computer and then to create unique file names. found a few bugs, fixed them... so now i am on to the next part which is taking an actual look at the pictures and hoping some of them are worth posting and fiddling with the website. that will keep me busy...

one really fun thing is finding a green worm. i've seen them before but never gotten a picture of them. so we'll see if it turns out well enough or i can rescue it if it didn't to write it up and post it.

i did some work on the worm page a few days ago, so this will get me back to looking at it again, there's a lot there which is not really well organised now, but until i read through it again and think about it some more it will have to do...

to exercise my new mongo storage SSD card i'm copying my entire external backup device to one chunk of it so i can play with that sometime. i have a lot of copies of old crud on there that i don't really need, but they are nice to have if i do need them and having them on faster storage is even better. :) i can always ditch chunks of whatever if i do need the space...

ok, well i got a bit sidetracked so only one-picture actually got edited and posted to the website so... erm, tomorrow i hope to finish the rest. :)

Last edited:

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A green worm? You say that ......and no pic?
Its not a Horse hair worm is it? Long,green, really skinny; like a hair and moves in a wavy type manner, but moves away when you put your finger next to it?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A green worm? You say that ......and no pic?
Its not a Horse hair worm is it? Long,green, really skinny; like a hair and moves in a wavy type manner, but moves away when you put your finger next to it?

i posted in a thread for it. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, here are a bunch of pictures from various places on the website that i've updated a bit and made other changes.

1) we'll start with the green worm which i've already posted elsewhere, but since i'm on the list i'll just put it here too...

DSC_20200315_135848-0400_177_Green_Worm_thm.jpg

2) irish moss that i though was a weed i wanted to get rid of. i've decided to try it out in a spot where i can keep a closer eye on it. it looks so scraggly because i almost weeded it out entirely before it regrew last fall. so now i'll keep it and see how it does in a different location (a tougher place perhaps too). we'll see...

DSC_20200315_130608-0400_160_Iris_Moss_thm.jpg

3) frog and toad sky scraper

DSC_20200315_131300-0400_175_Toad_Palace_thm.jpg

4) deer topiary

DSC_20200315_131146-0400_173_Deer_Aided_Topiary_thm.jpg

5) earliest flower this season

DSC_20200315_130242-0400_156_First_Flowers_thm.jpg

6) closely followed by the crocuses - deer/rabbits already eating them

DSC_20200315_131022-0400_169_Crocus_thm.jpg

7) what i'm starting to work on now

DSC_20200315_130038-0400_154_The_Cleanup_Begins_thm.jpg

8) north garden from the top SW corner showing how the creeping thyme is filling in

DSC_20200315_130850-0400_165_Creeping_Thyme_thm.jpg

9) from the opposite corner showing all the daffodils coming up that i moved last year

DSC_20200315_131134-0400_172_Moved_Daffodils_thm.jpg

i think those are all i put up today and last night. :) busy morning... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, your place is huge!
That worm does look odd.
Is that real Irish moss? You could eat it.

7432.2432 square meters, but only about 2/3rds of that being actively used. the rest of it is on the other side of a large drainage ditch and the access road is blocked by bee hives in the summer.

i will get a better picture of one of those some day! :)

the plant Irish Moss is different from the seaweed called Irish Moss. the seaweed is edible, but i have no idea if the plant is or not.

Latest posts