1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Assisting In Planting Apple Trees - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

stubbed toes and mud pies

Discussion in 'About Me & My Garden' started by flowerbug, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Feb 5, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Deeply Rooted

a small one. :) i'm not trying to encourage more stuff out there. we have a glass garden and a rust garden and various other piles and arrangements of things. many Mom keeps saying she should get rid of them. i'll believe it when i see it.

i really don't want old bottles to go outside anyways, some of them aren't worth much but a collector would like them. a few i'll keep. i remember digging almost all of these up. i'm afraid once i take them down from the shelves i won't want to get rid of them. then i'll dust them off, put them back in the boxes and put them back up on the shelves for another 10yrs. waste of space, i could be using that for beans... :)

Collector likes this.
  2. Feb 8, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Deeply Rooted

i'm free! i'm free! jury duty is now officially over. at least until the next time i'm summoned. but the two weeks of being a possible juror are now finito...

yesterday i came one person away from having to sit on a domestic violence case as part of a small jury (the people in other groups were used for a murder trial, i'm glad i didn't see that one at all). the defendant was defending himself, i don't think it was too likely to go well for him... there were no other witnesses other than the two people so it would have been a really tough call and i'm not all that great on judging people (at least i don't think so). i am not sure of the details of the case but it struck me in passing odd that they were going for domestic abuse when it seemed like the two people were not a couple or living together. why not assault? that was really the only part of this that struck me as strange and i'd like to know more.

so for the first time i was at the county court house, in the jury gathering room and inside a small court room and saw bailiff, judge, lawyer, defendants, prosecutor, police, etc.

made a whopping $15.13

it was quite a day as it started out with me heading in early with plenty of time, but then i had forgotten my wallet and was sure they'd check id so i turned around and came back to get it and then got stuck behind slow people half the way in the 2nd round. was a few minutes late, but nobody was there to complain at me about that (nor the others, one person was almost a half hour late).

in the process of selecting the jury three people who were on the list were called but were not present. someone mentioned to me later that they'd shown up and signed their names and then left. wonder if they'll have a bench warrant out for them now... the judge was not happy.

an interesting process for sure. i'm certainly not cut out for any of it. leave me alone in the gardens and with the wormies... more my speed. :)

Collector likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Jury duty cannot be fun for 95% of humanity and it wasn't fun for me.

I learned several things - how people generally do not want to be considered unfit for a jury. Those who complained about the imposition before selection, still seemed to want to give the impression of impartiality and having sound judgment.

The 5% who get a kick outta the responsibility shouldn't be there and certainly shouldn't be given any leadership role. One jury saw the 12 individuals come together sharing and in understanding. The other jury was fragmented by the incompetent foreman, stupidly backing people into corners. At least, we could come together on one count. A very unpleasant experience ...

By the next time I was called to jury duty my hearing loss had reached an official "severe" level. The audiologist wrote a letter and excusal was a lead pipe cinch. I was sorry that I was no longer suitable and absolutely convinced that it was for the common good that I would not be in that role again.

Steve

Collector likes this.