stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have zero enthusiasm for cleaning this morning, but gotta get it done. a few more hours of dusting and at least the worst will be over. yes, a nap sounds much more appealing. :)

then i can get back to reorganising the seeds i have dried and ready to be consolidated down to smaller flats for further drying.

later i'm sure i'll get dragged into some other cleaning tasks but at least those will be different than what i've been doing in here. much more tolerable.

Mom is making garlic bread and chocolate cake. it smells good in here. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with ya!!!
I was SUPPOSED to get my cleaning done this weekend so I would only have to vacuum Thurs AM...
But, I got all hyperfocused and spent most of the day yesterday (re)setting up the PERFECT coffee area & sorting fridge magnets :th So much I want to get done.. so little interest in doing it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with ya!!!
I was SUPPOSED to get my cleaning done this weekend so I would only have to vacuum Thurs AM...
But, I got all hyperfocused and spent most of the day yesterday (re)setting up the PERFECT coffee area & sorting fridge magnets :th So much I want to get done.. so little interest in doing it.

a sunspot has found me and like your kitty i'm about to measure it out and find a nap... i'm whupped today - was whupped when i woke up, perhaps i snored really hard last night? dunno... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
there has been an owl outside hooting for the past hour or two (at least). i'm always glad to hear them because that means perhaps they're getting some mice. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
(a few posts from the bean thread i wanted to copy here so i can find them just in case)...

five of the Purple Dove out crosses from this season's harvest (the links are non-thumbnail versions). i should say they are potential out crosses. not definite yet... :) i have a few others too, but not as visually distinct as these are so i didn't try to get a picture of them.

DSC_20221210_110947-0500_1828_Purple_Dove_Odds_1_2_thm.jpg

DSC_20221210_111251-0500_1830_Purple_Dove_Odds_3_4_5_thm.jpg

Tinker's Fire. i see now that i missed at least one cut short bean in there that i won't replant ever. oops. :)

DSC_20221212_101343-0500_1832_Tinkers_Fire_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

:(

it was nearly completely full.

this place is about 10 miles from here so i'm sure a lot of the farmers used it. will be interesting to learn how the fire started and what happens next.

what are they going to do with 75 million kilos of soggy corn? big batch of hooch? actually that might be the most likely use of it to turn into ethanol at one of the big ethanol plants.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the last garden club meeting was today. all three of the regulars were there. we talked almost two hours and i got to talk about beans and show them the interesting out-crosses i've got to work with for the next few years.

one person brought some lufas and some soap (with parts of lufas in them). i could not take them as they had potential iffy scents in them that would bother me and/or Mom, but it was an interesting idea.

we also talked about the upcoming (hopefully!) seed swap in Feb. maybe one or both of them will be interested in attending that.

so a perfect meeting IMO. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
someone hit the ditch pretty hard last night at the corner. at the time it happened i thought a house down the road blew up. now i wonder if what i heard was the airbags going off? i got up to look but i couldn't see anything in the blowing snow. a while later i heard people yelling. i'm not sure if they were yelling at each other to try to talk through the wind or mad at each other or what.

it seemed like it took an hour and a half before the police and a wrecker showed up and the whole time the police were coming they had their sirens on. i'm pretty sure they ran those sirens 20 minutes longer than they needed to. it took them quite a long time to get things taken care of.

at no point did i want to go out there and see what had happened because it was blowing and cold but it must have been a miserable time. what i'm wondering about the most is how much alcohol was involved. in the past this used to be a very frequent happening where someone would forget there's a required turn at the corner here and barrel through the intersection and then into the ditch and sometimes into the farm field. a few times things were so bad i'd go out and make sure everyone was ok and ask if they needed help. last night my good samaritain, having been burned a few too many times by drunk belligerent people decided to stay inside where it was warm and hoped everyone would be ok, but nope, i wasn't going out there.

is this age, common sense or lazyness? *shrug*

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been concerned about actual neighbors and how they might respond to problems. I had a little daytime fantasy about a Millennial guy (or is he a Gen Z?) who lives nextdoor. It's a rotating group of college students renting the home the last few years. Well behaved young people :).

Still, we have 15" of snow on the ground and they only shoveled once last Winter, this Winter - zero. The old guy on the other side of them brought his snowblower thru. I figure that it is enuff for me to shovel an extra 5' to their driveway and I'm not gonna shovel thru the ice their vehicles make diving over the sidewalk from there.

Anyway, one young guy and I have talked sorta once in awhile, saying good morning and waving, mostly. My fantasy was imagining how things might work out if we have something like the 3 weeks some neighborhoods experienced when they lost power in "Icestorm '96." I am prepared to be mistaken but I imagined that any help from them would not be forthcoming. Instead, I imagined seeing him come out of his home after 3 weeks showing how difficult the experience had been for him, a 20-something! Would he look as stressed and distraught as imagined? Wow. Hadn't really thought about that.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i will have to get out and shovel some snow this morning. the snowplows like to leave us gifts too at the end of the driveway. i didn't even bother shovelling it out yesterday since i knew they'd be back to fill it in again.

not as windy today which will also help. 17F with windchill down to 1F. the wind tunnel that the driveway makes means that almost the entire driveway was clear until the plows filled it in - except for the drift up closer to the garage. so it could have been worse and i've certainly had a lot more to do after a storm. i remember going out and starting on two feet of heavy wet snow that took me a few days to move. i mostly push it anyways, like the snow plows, we have plenty of room off to the sides. a few hours of shovelling is good exercise and i always feel better after doing it. some fresh air and moving the body around instead of perching all day in this futon hiding under my blankets...

later this week we'll be back to mid to upper 40sF for a few days at least.

Latest posts