Stuck in the Bathroom?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH was jolted out of bed last night with a leg cramp, and then realized he had to go to the bathroom. Next thing I know is I hear a loud crash, and no answer from him when I called out. I couldn't open the bathroom door because he had fallen against it. I finally got him to move over enough that I could get the door open, and he was OK, sort of, but couldn't remember what had happened, exactly.
I think it was a blood pressure drop from getting up suddenly. I used to do that years ago.
He is fine now, thank goodness, but it got me to thinking about "what if he wasn't fine?" If a person fell against the door, neither their spouse nor an EMT could get in, without hacking down the door! Hinges are on the inside. No windows.
That bathroom is scheduled for a redo, so we are thinking of utilizing something different for a door. Maybe a sliding or folding door like a closet door.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm glad he's doing fine. This is just the reason why it's mandatory over here to have bathroom doors swinging outside of the bathroom. It happens very often that people collaps or fall in the toilet or bathroom and can't get up.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
a hidden or pocket door would be nice since you are going to redo the bathroom

2b9f24d6e805ea1bd70bc278e5676a01--laundry-room-doors-diy-door.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH was jolted out of bed last night with a leg cramp, and then realized he had to go to the bathroom. Next thing I know is I hear a loud crash, and no answer from him when I called out. I couldn't open the bathroom door because he had fallen against it. I finally got him to move over enough that I could get the door open, and he was OK, sort of, but couldn't remember what had happened, exactly.
I think it was a blood pressure drop from getting up suddenly. I used to do that years ago.
He is fine now, thank goodness, but it got me to thinking about "what if he wasn't fine?" If a person fell against the door, neither their spouse nor an EMT could get in, without hacking down the door! Hinges are on the inside. No windows.
That bathroom is scheduled for a redo, so we are thinking of utilizing something different for a door. Maybe a sliding or folding door like a closet door.

well at least we know he still loves you! (closes the door :) )... j/k, i'm glad to hear he was/is ok.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad he's doing fine. This is just the reason why it's mandatory over here to have bathroom doors swinging outside of the bathroom. It happens very often that people collaps or fall in the toilet or bathroom and can't get up.
I like the way you folks think over there.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will tell you this because he is fine. When I was a kid the neighbors husband had a heart attack against the locked bathroom door. Our houses were old with real locks and big hardwood doors. This was a 2nd floor duplex apartment with tiny bathroom windows. The fire department had to go through the window. I'm pretty sure they had to break it to get in. And he was already gone.

Latest posts