Stupid Squirrels!

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought that I was pretty smart getting my Scarlet Runner Bean seeds in early, (It is supposed to stay warm until after the usual last frost date.)So, today, I went out to check out they were doing, and I saw about 30 little holes dug right along where I planted them. :barnie

I love the squirrels, but, I wish that they wouldn't eat my seeds before they even start to grow.

Now I get to try to find some more, and, none of the stores here seem to have them. :th

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your not the only one feeling the aggravation from the squirrels, they are real pains in the garden.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love sunflowers, and desperately want to grow the huge ones for the birds. The squirrels have a different agenda. :rolleyes: They let them get 10 inches high, and then they move in for the harvest.

Our 1.6 acres is a wildlife habitat, so I'm not going to kill them, but there are days when I want to pull their ratty little tails off! :barnie

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i also think squirrels are unpredictable, they even ate a few late daffodils i have planted, and i thought daffodils were rodent-proof. You never know what they'll do next.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose that we are talking about tree squirrels, right?

I've never had any real problem with them.

Ground squirrels in the garden, in their several species, have been . . . death.

Now, about the tree squirrels: I've heard one biologist say that they can go to sleep at night, high up in the treetops, and come out of their nests the next morning - with an entirely new set of skills! I suppose that could mean that my positive relationship with tree squirrels may come to an end at some time.

I knew I couldn't trust a rodent :/.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
obsessed said:
In Lousisana, you can hunt squirrels. :D
Hello, Slidell. When I lived in Metairie, I had a friend in Metairie that could not hunt them in his back yard. Too urban. He could live trap them. If you relocate them more than 7 miles, supposedly they cannot find their way back home. He would trap them and release them on a friend's place outside Covington. Then, in the fall, when hunting season opened....

In one month, using two live traps and black sunflower seed as bait, I removed and relocated over 50 squirrels from my back yard. They were so thick I could normally see 5 playing in my back yard at any time during daylight. As I thinned them out, they kept crowding in from the area.

A squirrel chewed the lead flashing off a vent, which flooded my house when we got one of those coastal downpours we tend to get. I had to replace my living room ceiling because of that. The lead flashing rolled down the roof and blocked a gutter. Water was overflowing the gutter, splashing on my back porch, and coming in under the door. No damage there, just an inconvenience, but I had to go out in that downpour and clear the gutter.

Bushy tailed rats have not been that high on my favorite critters list since.

Latest posts