STUPID UPSIDE DOWN TOMATOES

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok so I planted two of those upside down tomato things for my wife two days ago. At the same time I planted my other tomatoes in the ground. The thing is while all the other plants are doing fine the two in that are upside down are wilting and dieing. Has any one had luck with these or is it a lost cause? Or are my gardening skills a lost cause?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They seem to be hit or miss. Some of my friends rave about them. Others curse them. Where did you get the dirt you used for the hanging maters?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you have to water those things heavily on a daily basis. i didn't like the one my mom bought last year. the soil made it very heavy and the poor plants seemed to look pathetic for quite a few weeks. add the tons of water you need to put in it and the thing weighs even heavier and can topple over any Sheppard's hook you my try to put it on! make sure you have really strong support for it. my dad was the one that actually kept the plants alive the whole summer.

i should mention that i have my own garden to tend so i didn't have time to keep an eye on her plants daily.

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The dirt is a dirt, potting soil and compost mix. I watered the crap out of them and was thinking maybe I watered them too much.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 2 topsy turvys we bought last year. Last year wasn't so good for tomatoes here but our rightside up tomatoes did better than the upside downs did. I have seen others that have done very well, just not ours. It will take them awhile to get used to their new environment.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I didn't like ours. When the tomato plants got heavy, the stems just broke. Also, after a few weeks in our intense sun, the paper cover of the pot got brittle and ripped if we touched it.

Timmy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So they're basically dead at this point so I don't there are gana be too many tomatoes hanging from my patio cover this year. Oh well the ones in the ground are doing good and I don't like tomatoes anyway.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid they are mostly gimmick... but no reason to toss them. Why not try something like petunias in them- or herbs??

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never liked the idea of growing tomatoes upside, its not the way tomatoes were meant to grow, in my opinion. But maybe for flowers they'll do fine in them.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never thought anything was really meant to grow upside down, well, maybe except bats...

All the plant tries to do while hanging is to grow upwards anyway.